Scholarship makes sweet music

By Amanda Endicott

Robert and Frances Green made a substantial contribution to the Northern Illinois School of Music in honor of their son’s devotion.

The total contribution adds up to $104,000. The initial $100,000 will be put into the bank to generate interest. Four thousand dollars will be used for the first scholarship, then money will be taken out each year in the amount of $4,000 and given to one or more exceptional music students.

“This way the money will last forever,” NIU professor Robert Green said.

The scholarship is not dependent on academics or financial need, instead it is based strictly on the students’ musical talent. The student must be a full-time, degree-seeking graduate or undergraduate, said John Bass, director of Gift and Estate Planning.

“Bob was a tremendous resource in developing the criteria for the selection process,” Bass said. “He has a great passion. As a southerner, I can say ‘He’s a peach of a guy.'”

Green’s parents, now both in their 80s, spent their entire lives spending wisely and saving every penny. These savings, along with 2,000 shares of their stock in Fifth Third Bancorp, will help to bring in exceptionally talented students to NIU’s School of Music, making the department more competitive.

Robert graduated the U.S. Naval Academy in 1939, and served in the Navy for 26 years. He earned a master’s degree in engineering from Johns Hopkins University and worked for several companies in the Washington, D.C. area.

Frances Green graduated from the University of California-Berkeley in 1938, and took full responsibility for the house and family while Robert was at sea.

The younger Robert followed in his father’s footsteps to the U.S. Naval Academy, earned a bachelor’s degree in engineering in 1965, served in the Navy for seven years and finally enrolled at the School of Music at Indiana University. It was there he earned his Ph.D. in musicology in 1978.

Green said that piano lessons as a child, recordings and concerts all stimulated his interest in music.

“Although I wasn’t a performer, there was a place in the musical world for me as a teacher and a scholar,” Green said.

Green, who has been with NIU for 23 years, said that a large portion of his life and career have been spent here. Therefore, the scholarship was important to both him and his parents.

“When the level of the school is raised, it in turn attracts better students, which makes it more fun to teach,” Green said.

Bass said he was, “delighted the Greens would do this in honor of their son’s devotion” and that the donation was somewhat unusual.

“Usually, parents of students and alumni donate,” Bass said. “Here we have parents of a professor.”

Green said his parents are very happy with the university’s response to the donation.

“They have received many nice phone calls and letters from NIU and members of the School of Music,” Green said.

Frances Green has nothing but pride for her son. “We’re awfully proud of him,” she said. “He’s a hard worker and he’s smart. He also does a lot for his students and his school. We think he’s a fine young man.”