Silent Leader

By Joe Lacdan

Suzie Rizek entered the Huskie softball program in 1997 quietly, barely uttering a word during her freshman campaign.

Her teammates may not have known then but the soft-spoken Rizek would one day have a loud impact on the team.

“[She] kept more to herself,” NIU coach Donna Martin said. “Her teammates didn’t know much about her.”

Slowed by mononucleosis and a knee injury, Rizek saw limited time during her freshman campaign. But the following spring, her teammates discovered just how much dynamite Rizek packed in her play. During her sophomore year she batted .252 with five doubles and four triples. The Naperville native opened eyes with her hot bat and her diving athletic grabs at left field.

“She’s very athletically gifted,” Martin said. “She’s very strong — probably one of the strongest players on our team.”

Through her first two years at NIU, the Naperville North High School graduate concerned herself with team play, always willing to adapt to better the Huskies’ success.

This year she temporarily moved from her natural spot at left field to center field. Last spring, both of NIU’s two second basemen — Bethany Carroll and Shelby Bernard — had to sit out with injuries. Donna Martin needed someone from the team to fill the void and second.

Guess who volunteered?

“Suzie said ‘I’ll come in and play,'” Martin said. “She’s always been receptive to do anything that we’ve ever asked her to do — whether it’s change a position or hit in a different spot in the lineup or learn something new — that epitomizes a team player.”

“I would feel comfortable at any position,” Rizek added.

As she got older, Rizek realized another position she had to fill: leader. With four key seniors leaving the roster, including All-Mid-American Conference performers Christy Dalton and Jill Carpenter, she needed to become a role model for the younger players.

And that meant overcoming her shyness.

Once again, Rizek came through for her team. Last spring the senior posted a .317 batting average while driving in a team-best 35 runs. While still short on words, her play in the outfield and at the plate have made a big statement. None bigger than that fateful afternoon against Miami one year ago. That day, Rizek left her mark on the Huskie record books and the NCAA books as well, when she belted three home runs in a single game, tying a national record.

“She was in a zone,” Martin said. “She had her swing where she wanted it to be. Those are those career days that you don’t always get enough of.”

Another thing Rizek can’t get enough of: MAC Championships. After winning the conference title the past two seasons, the Huskies’ struggles this season and her own at the plate, have been especially though on the 5-foot-7 senior. At the start of the spring, Rizek managed just 12 hits in her first 21 games, batting a career worst .203. But through extra work hitting the tee with Martin in practice and the encouragement of her teammates, Rizek started to regain her form. During MAC games, Rizek has posted a .271 batting average during conference play, while driving in 16 runs, four doubles and two home runs.

“It’s a team game,” she said. “Games aren’t won by one person. That’s what’s good about this team, if one person’s off, the rest of the team can pick up the slack.”

Through all her struggles at the plate, Rizek never let it affect her play in the field. In 44 games, Rizek has made only three errors while tallying a .952 fielding percentage through Saturday. Her ability to maintain her focus on defense has impressed her teammates, and they try to follow her lead.

“I look up to her, especially as an outfielder, ” freshman outfielder Kelly Redican said. “She’s been here for four years and, me coming in and not knowing how it is at the college level, [her leadership is] very important, especially at this level.”

“In the years that she’s been here, she’s progressed into a leader,” Martin said. “Someone that you can count on every day.”

Although Rizek focuses her attention on the remainder of the conference season and leading the Huskies to the MAC Tournament Championship, soon she will try her leadership abilities in another area. Rizek hopes to one day become an operations manager and has one academic year remaining.

“I’m going to eventually get an internship and work at a big company,” Rizek said.

But the impact the quiet Rizek has made on NIU softball won’t be forgotten.

“I think she represents our program very well,” Martin said. “As a person and as a ballplayer. We’re going to miss her a lot.”