Career fair expected to draw 70 employers

By Amy Vanderheyden

It’s time once again for the Annual Cooperative Education and Internship Career Fair.

The fair will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 10 in the Duke Ellington Ballroom at the Holmes Student Center.

Over 70 employers are expected to attend the 10th annual fair, which is being sponsored by NIU’s Cooperative Education.

Some of the employers expected to attend this year’s fair include Abbott Laboratories, Amoco, Arthur Anderson, AT&T, First Card, Dean Witter, Jewel and State Farm Insurance.

Debbie Bragg, a graduate assistant and program representative, said the fair has always been popular at NIU. “It’s one of the biggest career fairs around and one of the biggest attended,” she said.

NIU students have found the career fair to be very helpful.

“The fair has been an excellent job opportunity for me to gain valuable experience, and I know it will benefit me later in life,” said senior finance major Rob Cummings.

Bragg said last year’s fair was successful because of its strong turnout. “The employers were happy because so many students came last year and many of them are returning.”

Cooperative Education, a university-sponsored program located in the Holmes Student Center, offers students the opportunity to get internships. Students who participate go through an orientation program and are given information about resume writing and interviewing.

The fair is open to all majors, which gives students the opportunity to speak to representatives in their field of study. Some employers conduct on-the-spot interviews, so it’s important to look professional.

Also, students are urged to bring plenty of resumes and a date-book in case they need to schedule an interview.

The fair can also help students obtain internships through cooperative education. “I know the interviewing experience from the fair helped me get my internship,” Jay Rogers said.

It is unnecessary to pre-register for the event as registration will be conducted at the entrance of the Duke Ellington Ballroom in the student center.