National study reveals rise in post-college salary offers

By Chris Quaid

Despite predictions of a slowing economy, a recent report from the National Association of Colleges and Employers reveals college graduates are getting higher starting salary offers than they did last year.

The winter 2001 “Salary Survey” was conducted nationally, revealing that nearly all fields of study gained salary-wise.

Jean Callary, assistant director of campus recruiting, studies these surveys to educate future graduates on job availability and financial opportunities, and she said this survey is accurate.

“Usually these national surveys are conducted in one area, and then projected as the national averages,” Callary said. “This can affect the results, but since many business are located near a large city like Chicago, they are pretty accurate.”

Located in the Campus Life Building, Room 260, the Campus Recruitment Center serves all students, Callary said.

The center finds everything from part-time jobs and interviews to various alumni services for students from all fields of study.

“If a future graduate needs our help, we will get involved in every aspect of their employment search to locate the job they want,” Callary said. “There is a wide variety of ways a student can enter into a job at NIU, because alumni are always recruiting and companies want our graduates.”

The highest demand for NIU graduates is from the computer science department, and according to the “Salary Survey,” the largest increase in starting salaries was for computer science majors.

“Salaries for computer science majors have risen steadily over the past few years, but recently they have taken a quantum jump due to the supply of technicians being unable to meet the demand,” said Rodney Angotti, chairman of the Computer Science department.

According to a 1999 survey published by the US Department of Labor on workplace shortages, the need for computer scientists and technicians could reach 1.7 million by the year 2008.

“More and more jobs are calling for computer scientists that are not being filled,” Angotti said. “This causes an increase in starting salaries and signing bonuses to provide incentive for people to enter into a career of computer science.”

Many computer businesses from all over the country look for future employees from NIU.

“Currently, we have 155 standing internships and 250 companies nationwide competing for our computer science majors. Our graduates have received good, high-paying jobs over the years and it does appear to be a continuing trend for the future,” Angotti said.

Major Average Salary Percent Increase

Accounting $38,739 3.8

Economics/Finance $40,297 5.7

Computer systems $44,879 4.7

Liberal arts No Data No Data

Psychology $28,429 4.8

Computer engineering $53,443 14.3

Civil engineering $39,852 9.2

Electrical engineering $50,850 5.8

Computer science $51,581 5.9

Communications $47,583 10.8