Freshmen step up to the challenge

By Joe Lacdan

The NIU women’s basketball youth movement took a bold step against Western Michigan on Monday night.

Four freshmen played for a combined 137 minutes during NIU’s 75-65 Mid-American Conference triumph at Chick Evans Field House, including point guard Monique Davis, who went the full forty minutes.

MAC Freshman of the Year candidate Jennifer Youngblood continued her solid play with a career-high 26 points and 10 rebounds, while fellow frosh Lindsay Secrest hit all five of her shots for 13 points.

Davis tied her season high of 10 points, while Stephanie Smith added 7 as the Huskie freshman class accounted for 56 of NIU’s 75 points.

“Gosh, they are contributing so much,” Hammerle said. “It’s exciting. I think they’ve made a tremendous step.”

With senior Mickey Johnson sitting out most of the contest in foul trouble, Youngblood dominated the low blocks and pumped in 14 points in the second half.

The freshman forward also helped the Huskie defensive effort frustrate WMU. For the game, the Broncos shot just 34 percent from the field.

“With Mickey not being in there everyone had to pick up their communication on defense,” Youngblood said.

Secrest, who had been struggling from the field in recent games, found her shot Monday night, and sank all three of her 3-point attempts, giving her a team-best 42 for the year. Secrest seemed more confident in her shot, and didn’t always look for her shot, but said she focused on team basketball.

“I just felt good,” Secrest said. “I came in and told Mickey before the game that I felt good and I didn’t really feel nervous at all. I just felt really comfortable, I was trying to play smart more than anything.”

Davis, who had been struggling offensively all season, seemed to find her touch hitting 4-of-5 shots and also dishing 4 assists. Smith hit a big three to spark the Huskies in the first half, and Secrest had a steal and layup to cap an 11-0 run and give NIU (12-14 overall, 8-5 MAC) a 27-16 lead. With leading scorer and captain Kristan Knake sitting out after suffering a concussion last week, Hammerle said Davis and Smith made up for the loss.

“I just really think that those two clearly elevated their game,” Hammerle said. “[They] really made up for us not having Kristan Knake.”