Public law professor named outstanding faculty member

By Michelle Esposito

This year’s “Most Outstanding Faculty Award” went to Peter Ruckman, an NIU professor in the political science department.

Ruckman, who received his doctorate from Florida State University, has been teaching public law at NIU for two years.

He said he was honored to be nominated and receive the award. “I was surprised because I haven’t been here that long.”

Ruckman said the award is a great way to recognize faculty members for outstanding teaching.

He said he doesn’t want students to think he is an easy teacher because his motto is cruel, but fair.

Ruckman said he was surprised to know many of the students in his constitutional law class at the beginning of the semeste

“From a student’s standpoint, it makes all the difference in the world when you know something about the teacher ahead of time,” he said.

Several professors, who also were nominated for the award, congratulated Ruckman.

Abdul Basti, professor of operations management and information services (OMIS), said it was an honor to be nominated.

“I appreciate the recognition … it even stimulates me more to do more for my students whom I consider like my children and I treat them as such,” Basti said.

Arra Garab, professor of English, said, “I think teaching is the most important thing we do at the university and I’m glad students appreciate it.

“Any recognition that comes from students, awards determined by students, is especially valuable,” Garab said.

Charles Larson, professor of communication studies, congratulated Ruckman and said, “Faculty do appreciate that students are willing to say thank you.”

OMIS Professor Ahmad Rifai said the nomination made him want to work harder. “It’s something for me to look back at when I retire.”

Basti said “Faculty Appreciation Night” is very useful and there are constructive results that contribute to the improvement of the education system. “It recognizes faculty’s effort to help students and to provide any efficient teaching styles,” he added.