Officials claim safe sex not ignored by students

By Maria Tortorello

A recent survey indicates that safe sex is being ignored by heterosexuals across America, but some NIU officials are saying that is not the case on campus.

According to a recent sex survey in the journal Science, Americans are not taking precautions while engaging in sex, leaving a risk of contacting the AIDS virus.

The survey, which is the largest sex survey in more than 40 years, states that 7 percent of those who were questioned had more than one sex partner in the previous year.

The survey also revealed that 17 percent of those questioned used condoms all the time.

In the past, the focus of those who have been infected with AIDS have been intravenous drug users and homosexuals.

However, according to Arthur Rubens, assistant professor at the NIU Community Health Center, the problem is spreading into the heterosexual population as well.

“They should focus more on heterosexual population,” he said. “I think Magic Johnson has highlighted that fact that everyone needs to take precautions.”

Rubens said that the survey shows that those at highest risk are those in their late teens and early 20’s.

“Narrowing it to students at NIU, behavior could be more promiscuous because they are away from home,” Rubens said. “It is basically because they are not taking responsible actions during their sexual intercourse.”

Sophomore Rob Damico said he agrees with the survey statistics.

“I don’t think they are exaggerating at all,” Damico said.

He said the reason for the higher rates among college students is because of alcohol.

“I wouldn’t doubt it would be higher among college students because of alcohol and basic irresponsibility. You see it at parties all the time,” Damico said.

However, Michael Haines, coordinator of Health Enhancement Services, feels the severity of the number of people not practicing safe sex is determined by the way the survey is interpreted.

“It makes me think we can look at the glass as being half empty or half full,” Haines said.

Haines also said that he does not doubt the people conducting the survey. However, the number of people practicing safe sex is higher than those years ago.

College students add to this number because they are more comfortable with wearing condoms than adults, Haines said.

“College students have grown up with the idea of using condoms during sex is like wearing a seatbelt while driving,” he said.

According to NIU data, Haines said that the rates of condom use is higher among NIU students than it is among adults.

“Sixty-eight percent of NIU students use precaution either most of the time or all of the time,” Haines said. “I think one of the reasons for that is because we do a credible job of

distributing condoms across campus.”