Offices await store renovation for move

By Rob Heselbarth

NIU organizations and departments that are moving to make room for the parking facility and the Campus Life Building might be packing as soon as late December if everything remains on schedule.

Over the upcoming winter break, many NIU departments and organizations will move to various temporary and permanent locations across campus because their buildings will be demolished to make room for the new parking facility.

Some of the offices located in Altgeld Hall will move to the old Floor-to-Ceiling Store, 1515 W. Lincoln Hwy., to make room for other departments.

The relocations are dependent on the completion of the renovation of the store, which is underway.

The old store will house the NIU Printing Department and the newly-formed Human Resource Services, which consists of the offices of Payroll, Insurance, Personnel and Provost personnel.

Tom Rosenow, project manager for American Development, the company doing the renovation, said the renovation is on schedule for completion in late December or early January.

Rosenow said the printing department will be able to move in late December.

“Unless we have delivery problems from suppliers there is no question about it, they will be moved in,” he said.

Additionally, he said there is electrical gear that will not be delivered until Dec. 16, which might push back the completion of the Human Resource Services’ half of the building.

“We’re trying very hard for completion over the holiday break, but a more realistic date is Feb. 1,” he said.

Patricia Perkins, assistant to the vice president of Finance and Planning, said the plans for the relocations are complete, but not etched in stone.

“The moves are subject to change, but we’re not expecting anything to happen which will force changes,” she said.

Perkins said the completion of the store will be done in time for Human Resource Services to move in, and avoid a domino effect of delayed moves.

Many of the organizations and departments being moved will be permanently located in the Campus Life Building.

“The space each organization needs in the Campus Life Building has been blocked out,” Perkins said. “We are in the process of refining the interior space for each user’s needs.”

She said the list of departments and organizations moving into the Campus Life Building is complete and not expected to change.

The list includes Career Planning and Placement, Counseling and Student Development Center, Cooperative Education, University Programming and Activities, Student Association, Campus Activities Board, University Honors Program, The Northern Star, Orientation and Student Assistance, Campus Assistance and Information Desk and a commuter center.