October named Physical Therapy Month

By Jen Bland

October has been officially proclaimed National Physical Therapy Month by NIU President John La Tourette.

The proclamation was made at a ceremony on Oct. 1 and since that time, various activities have been sponsored to celebrate Physical Therapy Month.

An information booth was set up Oct. 5 at the Holmes Student Center, and students were able to pick up various pamphlets and brochures.

Throughout the month of October, four lectures have been scheduled, covering different areas of physical therapy.

Tim Dunlop was at NIU Oct. 6 to lecture about private practice.

In addition, Betty Kay, a physical therapy teacher at NIU, will speak Oct. 15 on her experiences in Uganda, Africa this summer.

On Oct. 20, representatives from Del-Nor Community Hospital will be at NIU to lecture on pool therapy.

Finally, Bev Richardson, owner of Theradapt, will lecture on various physical therapy equipment on Oct. 29.

All lectures are scheduled for 12 p.m. in the Still Gym.

“The reason we are having these lectures is for students and faculty to learn about different aspects of physical therapy,” said Karen Stapleton, chairman of Physical Therapy Month.

This year’s theme is “Back in Action with Physical Therapy” and emphasizes the goal of physical therapy to help people of all abilities reach their potential and achieve good health. A window has been painted at the Holmes Student Center bearing the theme.

Each year the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) sends their theme to universities and hospitals nationwide encouraging them to get involved with Physical Therapy Month.

The APTA is a professional organization which represents more than 50,000 physical therapists, physical therapist assistants and the advancement of physical therapy practice, education and research.

“This year students decided to work more actively in Physical Therapy Month than in the past, and they’ve done a really good job,” said Mary Jane Harris, coordinator of the physical therapy program at NIU.

Stapleton added, “Last year we just sold T-shirts. This year we tried to get more involved.”

Harris and Stapleton both said they hope the events will increase the knowledge of physical therapy and the physical therapy program on campus.