WNIU offers alternative to televised national debates

By Jen Bland

Instead of sitting in their dorm room watching the debates on TV, students have been offered another option.

WNIU 89.5 will be airing debates Sunday, Oct. 11 to Thursday, Oct. 22.

In past years WNIU has aired all the national debates, but this year they will air more local debates.

Todd Mundt, assistant news director for WNIU, said, “In the past we’ve aired all the national debates, but this year we’re going to include more of the local candidate’s debates.”

Mundt said the station has received a number of good responses in the past when they included the debates in their normal programming schedule.

Debates still to be aired include the second round of the presidential debates at 6 p.m., Monday, Oct. 19 and the final U.S. Senate debate at 10:30 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 22.

Mundt said there are about 25,000 listeners and they usually call if they don’t like something.

“We haven’t got a lot of response to Sunday’s debates so we assume the listeners liked it,” he said. “We’re glad they appreciate the service.”

Margaret Miller, membership services director for WNIU, said airing debates like these is part of the station’s mission.

She said, “WNIU provides an important service to the community in sponsoring the debates of all the candidates.”

Mundt said, “We think this is the best way for listeners to hear what the candidates have to say.”

“If people hear the actual debate instead of just a little six or seven minute report, it provides a better service to the listeners,” he added.

Students also seem to like the service.

Heather Pingel, freshman journalism major, said, “I feel it’s more convenient for students to listen to the debates on the university radio because you can listen in your car instead of sitting at home.”

“You can imagine for yourself what the candidates are saying so you are able to focus on the issues,” said Mark Wegrzyn, freshman pre-business major.

Jason Honeker, freshman pre-business major, said, “You can focus on what the candidates are saying instead of how they look.”