Rembert brings ‘attack’ mentality to NIU

By Fred Konrath

The NIU wrestling team will have a new look when it takes to the mat this upcoming season.

Former Huskie assistant coach Phil Rembert will take over as the new head coach on an interim basis, replacing Ed Vatch, who resigned after last season.

Rembert’s style of team wrestling will change in the way of a more attacking and disciplined team. Helping Rembert out at the coaching ranks will be assistant Wayne Petterson.

Petterson’s experience comes from two years as the head coach of Fort Hays State, a Division II school in Kansas.

Last season, the Huskies (2-17) wrestled at an incosistent level. However, NIU did face top-ranked teams and were on the road for 17 of their 19 matches. They also were giving up 12 points each match due to forfeits.

“This year, I think we’re going to do pretty well,” said Rembert. “My outlook for the team is contending in the Regionals and to have a winning season.”

One thing you can count on this season is the Huskies not giving away points due to forfeits.

“From last year to this year, we’ve filled the spots where we forfeited and the people we filled them with are tough as nails,” said Rembert.

What the Huskies also added this year is mandatory weight lifting, where they’ll be building up strength now and during the season.

Rembert brings three new recruits into the new season: Mike McClarence, a 1989 IHSA state champion from Providence High School; heavyweight Demon Rodez, a state qualifier for St. Joseph’s High School; and Terry Dantzler, a two-time high school state champion from Bremen High School, who is also the younger brother and new teammate of three-time NCAA qualifier T.C. Dantzler.

“I think our group of wrestlers are going to be physically ready for anything that comes on them,” Rembert said. “As long as we keep them healthy, we won’t have any problems.”

“And when we come down to the end of the season, I realistically think we can take five to seven people down to Nationals,” a confident Rembert added. “Instead of taking just T.C., it will be T.C. and Company.”