NIU announces shift to online classes for remainder of semester

Northern Star File Photo

The NIU sign stands in the heart of campus. Students have a lot of events to look forward to this semester. (Northern Star File photo)

By Northern Star Staff

DeKALB – All courses for the remainder of the semester will be held online beginning Nov. 30 following the rise of COVID-19 cases in the state, NIU President Lisa Freeman wrote in an email Monday. 

In-person activities for the remainder of the semester are also to be held virtually following the Illinois Department of Public Health’s recently issued stay-at-home advisory, according to the email. 

On Thursday, the Illinois Department of Public Health advised residents for the next three weeks to work from home, if possible, to participate in essential activities only and to limit travel and gatherings.

The Northwestern Medicine Student Health Center, the Holmes Student Center, Founders Memorial Library and Recreation Center will remain open, according to the email. Guests are also not allowed on campus starting Monday. 

All residence halls and dining will remain open, according to the email. Students who have the ability to not return to campus after Thanksgiving break are strongly encouraged to remain home for the remainder of the semester. 

Surveillance testing will pause for the week of Nov. 23 for all required students. Testing will resume the week of Nov. 30 through Dec. 8, according to the email. Students who will not be returning to campus for the semester will need to request exemptions.

Students who work on campus need to contact their supervisor to see if work can be done remotely or if it needs to be done in-person. 

“This has been an immensely difficult semester for you, and I know it’s particularly stressful as finals and the holidays approach,” Freeman said in the email. “I want to commend you for your hard work, perseverance and everything you’ve done to help protect your pack”