Journalism fair to present opportunities to students

By Wendy Arquilla

Students interested in careers in the journalism field have an opportunity to find out more about what NIU has to offer.

NIU’s journalism department is sponsoring the Journalism New Student Fair on Tuesday from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Heritage Room of the Holmes Student Center.

“The fair’s purpose is to introduce students to the opportunities the journalism department and the student organizations in journalism offer,” said Daniel Riffe, chairman of the journalism department.

He said the format of the New Student Fair includes a festival-like atmosphere with tables representing the different areas and organizations.

“The fair is not just for students who have decided on a career in journalism, but for students who haven’t decided on a major yet and feel they might be interested in current affairs, writing and public affairs,” Riffe said.

Riffe said he believes the fair will introduce the different job opportunities that journalism offers, such as print news, public relations, photojournalism and broadcast news.

The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) will be one of the organizations represented at the new student fair. SPJ President Karen Craven said the organization will be providing an informational video and fliers about the organization and how to join it.

“Organizations like SPJ give students a view of what journalism careers are like in the real world because they are exposed to the people in these jobs through the organization,” Craven said. “Journalism organizations are like an education outside of the classroom.”

Craven said organizations provide opportunities to meet professionals in the field of journalism, learn about different jobs the journalism field offers and interact with students that hold the same interests.

Other organizations represented will be the Public Relations Student Society of America, Women in Communications, Student Illinois News Broadcast Association and The Northern Star. Journalism faculty and students also will be represented at the fair.