NIU student, SAMTB battle over bus ride

By Rob Heselbarth

The story continues to unfold in a dispute between the Student Association Mass Transit Board and NIU student Paul Robinson on the issue of riding the Freedom Mobile.

On Aug. 26 and 28, Robinson, who is visually impaired, received rides from the Freedom Mobile to his class at the Music Building from his room in Neptune West, which was in violation of SAMTB policy.

“I took the ride because it was thunderstorming one day, so I simply took a bus to get out of the rain,” Robinson said. “I didn’t kill anyone.”

On another walk to class, Robinson said he was poked in the eye by a pine needle and treated for it at the NIU health service. He said he took the second ride to avoid hitting the pine and needles again.

“I did not purposely violate any policy. I wasn’t even aware of the policy,” he said.

Christi Kret, SAMTB chair, said Robinson has been a Freedom Mobile rider since 1989, and the policies have not been changed since.

The SAMTB policy states that class to class rides are not to be taken until November. Rides are not allowed until weather is more severe.

In Sept. 2, the SAMTB held a mandatory meeting for anyone who wished to use the Freedom Mobile for the semester, which Robinson attended.

Prior to the meeting on Sept. 2, Robinson had sent letters of appeal to various university officials trying to resolve the issue.

Robinson tried to raise his issue at the meeting, and was advised not to by Sue Reinhardt, coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities.

Reinhardt said she felt because of the nature of Robinson’s issue, it would be handled better in a non-public situation.

“I tried to address the issue and was shut up by the board,” Robinson said. “Where did they want me to discuss the issue?”

A meeting was set up with Kret to discuss the issue. However, when Kret was notified of the full nature of the issue, she nixed the meeting and asked Robinson to reschedule the meeting in a more formal atmosphere.

Robinson then was notified that he was suspended from riding the Freedom Mobile because of his violations of SAMTB policy.

Robinson said he feels his civil rights were violated. He said someone aired a report which was picked up by all of the Huskie buses, mentioning Robinson by name and saying his privileges had been revoked. In addition, a sign was posted on the Freedom Mobile, listing Robinson’s name and his revoked privileges. Robinson said both of these were a source of embarrassment to him.

The SAMTB said if Robinson would meet with them, his privileges would be reinstated.

Robinson said he feels the meetings that have been set up have been repeatedly cancelled, and he has been treated unjustly. “When I was finally scheduled to address the board, it was cancelled on me,” he said.

“I feel my voice has not been allowed to be heard,” he said.

The SAMTB said it has made plenty of attempts to meet with Robinson and resolve the issue. “We have been refused meetings at every opportunity we gave him,” Kret said.

“There have been three letters sent and various phone conversations with Robinson trying to set up meetings,” Kret said.

“He flat out refuses to meet with me,” she said. “If he would just meet with me for ten minutes, we could resolve this matter.”

Kret said the issue is not a personal one between her and Robinson. “The issue is between the SAMTB and Robinson,” she said. “He simply violated a policy which was given to him prior to the violation, and that is the issue.”