Weekly events: Week of Feb. 1

Northern Star Staff

Monday

• Huskies Get Hired – Tips and Tricks: Career Services will host a Huskies Get Hired workshop to help students find job openings at 11 a.m. via Microsoft Teams. Contact Brian Pillsbury at pillsbury@niu.edu for more information.
  • Interviewing – The Essentials: Career Services will host an interviewing workshop for students to prepare for job and internship interviews at 1 p.m. via Microsoft Teams. Contact Joyce Keller at jkeller@niu.edu for more information.
  • LGBTQ Philanthropy – Spring 2021 Speaker Series: Dr. Elizabeth Dale will present a virtual discussion at 2 p.m. to focus on understanding the diversity of who contributes to philanthropy. Registration is required. Contact Caleb Cox at nonprofitNGOcenter@niu.edu for more information.
  • BMI: Barbershop Talk: Black Male Initiative will host a barbershop talk to reflect and learn from current events. The virtual will start at 5:30 p.m. Contact Chris Mitchell at cmitchell11@niu.edu for more information.
  • Dr. L Gryant Lecture Series – Dr. Stanley Arnold: A presentation to examine African American participation in the modern Olympic Games in the first half of the 20th century will take place virtually at 6 p.m. Registration is required.
  • Outdoor Adventures Craft Night: Vision Board: Outdoor Adventures will host a craft night to create vision boards for the new year at 6 p.m. at the Student Recreation Center. Registration is required. Contact outdooradventure@niu.edu for more information.

Tuesday

• Finding Forward: Counseling and Consultation Services will host a virtual workshop at 1 p.m. for anyone wanting to boost their resilience to respond to life demands and COVID-19 stress. Contact Giselle Navarro at gnavarro5@niu.edu for more information.
  • LGBTQ+ Inclusion Workshop for Honors: Molly Holmes, director of the Gener and Sexuality Resource Center, will host a virtual session at 3 p.m. that will provide knowledge of LGBTQ+ identities. Contact MBHolmes@niu.edu for more information.
  • LinkedIn Basics: Career Services will host a virtual workshop at 3 p.m. for students on how to use LinkedIn to optimize their job search. Contact Teri Schmidgall at schmidgall@niu.edu for more information.
  • The Study Cycle Workshop: The Writing Center will host a virtual workshop at 3:30 p.m. for students to learn how to use study strategies throughout the semester. Registration is required. Contact Gail Jacky at gjacky@niu.edu.

Wednesday

• BGSA Valentines Succulent Sale: The Biological Graduate Student Association will host an online succulent sale from Feb. 3 to Feb. 11. Succulents can be ordered online. Contact Christy Wails at cwailes1@niu.edu for more information.
  • Introduction to Mindfulness: Counseling and Consultation Services will host a brief overview via Microsoft Teams at noon to discuss mindfulness and how to apply it with a guided meditation. Contact Kelsey Boll at 815-753-1206 for more information.
  • Pa’lante Con Mino Lora: The Latino Resource Center will host a virtual conversation at noon with Maria del Camino Lora who immigrated to the United States at 19. Contact Edgar Lopez at elopez12@niu.edu for more information.
  • Resume Writing – The Essentials: Career Services will host a virtual resume writing workshop at 1:30 p.m. for students who are creating their first resume or updating their resume. Contact Shara Dyson at sdyson1@niu.edu for more information.
  • You Are Not Alone Workshop: The University Writing Center will host a virtual workshop at 3:30 p.m. to provide an overview of NIU resources to support success. Registration is required. Contact Gail Jacky at gjacky@niu.edu for more information.
  • NNGO Networking Extravaganza: The Center for Nonprofit and NGO Studies will host a virtual networking event at 4:30 p.m. for students and alumni. Registration is required. Contact jaread@niu.edu for more information.

Thursday

Friday

• Fitness Friday – Danceworks: The NIU Recreation Center will host a virtual group fitness class at 4 p.m. to dance to upbeat music. Contact Leanne Kulchawik at lkulchawik@niu.edu for more information.
  • Outdoor Adventures Skate Night: Outdoor Adventures will host a skate night for students from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Recreation Center. Registration is required and costs $5 for students. Contact outdooradventure@niu.edu for more information.
  • Kahoot with CAB: The Campus Activities Board will host a virtual movie trivia at 5 p.m. via Microsoft Teams.