Outdoor Adventures to host Valentine’s Day ice skating event

Getty Images

Couple having so much fun while ice skating at night. Wearing warm clothing. City is decorated with christmas lights.

By Northern Star Staff

DeKalb – NIU’s Outdoor Adventures organization will be hosting a skating event from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 21 at the new ice rink outside of the Student Recreation Center.

There is a $5 registration fee for students and $7 for non-students. It includes a one-hour skate rental, hot chocolate and assistance for beginners from the Outdoor Adventures staff, said Christine Lagattolla, assistant director of Outdoor Adventures.

The rink is normally open to the public during daytime hours, but the Saint Valentine’s Day event will include music, treats and the presence of staff. Events like these are great opportunities to get the word out about other Outdoor Adventures events, as well as to help those who are new to ice skating, Lagattolla said.

Groups of ten people will each get one hour on the rink in order to facilitate proper social distancing. Anyone can sign up but participants must register online in the NIU event calendar system in order to take part. 

This is the first year that Outdoor Adventures has maintained a man-made ice-rink for skating instead of the East Lagoon located North of the intersection of Lincoln Lincoln Highway and the Kishwaukee River. The decision to transition to a man-made rink was influenced by the intensive labor required to maintain the lagoon for skating, Lagattolla said.

“It’s been a process, but I think [the new rink] has been well used,” Lagattolla said. “It was a good idea.”

The new ice rink is located on the East side of the Student Recreation Center at 325 N. Annie Glidden Road.

Ice skate rentals from Outdoor Adventures normally cost $3 per day or $5 for a weekend rental. 

Editors note: This story was updated at 1 p.m. Wednesday to reflect the change of the scheduled event from Feb. 14 to Feb. 21.