On-line computer training classes full this smester

By Jen Bland

Students who want a personal training session on how to operate the on-line catalog computers in Founders Memorial Library will have to wait another semester.

Classes have already reached their capacity this semester, but if students are still interested in learning how to operate the computers in the library they can register for spring classes.

In one hour students can learn how to use the special programs, like the menu-mode system, the basic command mode and the advanced command-mode. Classes are also offered in CD-ROM technology, CARL UnCover, and IBIS.

Classes are in session Monday through Thursday at several times during the day and at night, at no cost.

Students can sign up for these classes at the beginning of fall, spring, and summer semesters, but are cautioned to sign up as soon as possible.

Byron Anderson, coordinator of computer services, said students should sign up a week before classes start.

Anderson said the classes are limited for a good reason. “We try to limit the classes to a maximum of ten students per class because we want to give everyone a chance for hands-on experience,” he said.

He said he decided to offer these classes because “a lot of people were having difficulty understanding the new technology.

“The whole world of information has become automated and all the users of the library have become overwhelmed,” he said.

He said he has discovered that this investment of one hour will save people a lot of time while using the library. “We also offer lots of timesaving tips,” he added.

Interested students can go to the information desk at the library to sign up or students can contact Anderson at 753_1992.