GSRC to host multiple events for Women’s History Month

By Ashley Dwy

Women’s History Month first began as Women’s History Week, when Congress requested the president proclaim the week of March 7, 1982, as “Women’s History Week.” Over the next five years, Congress continued to pass resolutions designating a week in March as Women’s History Week. Finally, in 1987 after being petitioned by the National Women’s History Project, Congress passed Public Law 100-9, which designated March as Women’s History Month, according to the Women’s History Month website.

In light of this event, the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center has set up a multitude of events throughout the month.

The Huskies Thank Women event spotlights important women in students’ lives, and allows students to share an image of the woman who inspires them on social media. Students should write a description of why that woman inspires them, and tag @NIU_GSRC on Instagram or on Facebook at NIUGSRC, using the hashtag #HuskiesThankWomen. This takes place March 8, 15, 22 and 29.

The Women and Gender Advocacy and Alliance is partnering with the GSRC for the Women’s History and Allyship discussion from 5-6 p.m. March 8 as well. This will be an interactive discussion about allyship over Microsoft Teams. For more information about this event, contact WGAA member Emma Barton-Norris at [email protected].

The Art and Identity project is a virtual community art project where students can create and also have a discussion about intersectional feminism from 3-4 p.m. March 9. If students do not have art supplies, they can pick up supplies at the GSRC on March 8. To participate, dial in on the NIU event calendar. For more information, contact Demetrea Edwards, GSRC graduate research assistant, at [email protected].

From Suffragettes to Intersectionality: Understanding Feminism Town Hall has two sessions this month; one from 11 a.m.-noon March 11, and the other from 11 a.m.-noon March 25. The panel will discuss the four waves of feminism and how they evolved, as well as the key philosophical features of feminism. To participate, register on the NIU event calendar. For more information, contact Jane Pappas, assistant director for social justice education, at [email protected].

Womanist Wednesday is an interactive session that highlights topics about gender identity and intersectionality. It is from noon-1 p.m. March 17 and, to participate, students must follow @NIU_GSRC on Instagram. For more information, contact Edwards.

Brown Girls Rock is an event hosted by the Campus Activities Board that honors women of color, and also provides a virtual tour of the Women Museum from 3-5 p.m. March 21. For more information, contact the vice president of programming Quintin Phillips at [email protected]/

WGAA is celebrating Trans Visibility Day with a virtual, interactive event from 5-6 p.m. March 22 over Microsoft Teams. Students who want to ask questions about why the holiday is celebrated, or why intersectionality is important in feminism, should dial in using the link on the NIU event calendar.

Similar to the Trans Visibility Day celebration is the Sister Circle event, where women and nonbinary students from diverse backgrounds can have a discussion and listen to each other. Students who wish to participate should dial in from 7-8:30 p.m. March 22. For more information, contact assistant director of GSRC Ari Owens at [email protected].

The Period Project pick up is an event for students and community members to either donate unopened pads and tampons, or pick up free pads and tampons from noon-4 p.m.  March 30 at the GSRC front porch, located at 105 Normal Rd. Donations are accepted at any time during the GSRC’s normal hours, Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m.

This event is meant to bring awareness to the financial burden that purchasing period products can cause college students, or individuals in general. It is also meant to destigmatize how people talk about periods, according to the NIU event calendar

To coordinate a safe and socially-distanced pick up, text (302) 601-1508. For more information, email Owens.

The GSRC and the Center for the Study of Women are collaborating to spotlight women faculty researchers on a panel from 2-3:15 p.m. March 31. The panelists are Dana Bardolph, assistant professor for the department of anthropology, Laura Johnson, associate professor for educational technology, research and assessment, Karla Padron, assistant professor for the department of communication and the center for the study of women, gender and sexuality and Kara Samonds, associate professor for the department of biological sciences.

The panelists will share stories and reflect on their experiences with their research to help audience members build more confidence in their research capabilities, pushing through difficulties, and overcoming barriers to pursuing professional and personal goals, according to the NIU event calendar. To register, click the link on the NIU event calendar. For more information, contact Owens.