SGA candidate profile: Cole Hensley

By Northern Star Staff

The following is the response to a Northern Star questionnaire sent to all SGA candidates. Answers have been lightly edited for clarity and consistency.

Hensley is running for a senator position for an NIU colleges & academics seat.

Name: Cole Hensley

Year in School: First-year student

Major: Industrial engineering

Why do you want to be in the Student Government Association?

I want to continue to be a part of SGA because I want to continue the students of NIU to have a campus and University that is always improving, and I believe that I can help NIU become a better University by supporting legislation and putting forth legislation that helps every student on campus.

What do you hope to accomplish during your term?

During this term I hope to make NIU a safer campus by looking at the cause for the crimes on campus, and attempting to put legislation forth that will get rid of these causes. I also hope to work with other senators to hold events that will help the community of NIU, along with the surrounding community of DeKalb.

Why should students vote for you?

Students should vote for me because I will take their concerns seriously and look into them. Also, When pressed in a situation in SGA for supporting legislation, I will look solely at the facts of the situation at hand. Students’ should know that I am and will continue to be a voice for freedom of expression for everyone on campus, as long as they follow NIU’s Freedom of Expression Policy.

What do you think is NIU’s biggest area of improvement? 

I believe NIU’s biggest area of improvement is through the safety of the student body. It seems as if it is a daily occurrence of getting emails from NIU of crimes committed on or near NIU’s campus, and I believe for the safety of the students we need to fix this issue immediately.

Why is student government important to you? Why should the student body care about it? 

Student government is important to me because it allows me to express my concerns about what is happening at NIU. Student government also allows me to talk to people with other opinions on issues and have conversations with them. These conversations allow us to come to resolutions that will help the student body of NIU as a whole. The student body should care about Student Government because it is the one place students can go to voice their concerns. The students’ concerns will be heard at Student Government and we will look into the issue because we work for the students.

The Northern Star is publishing the candidates’ responses to our questions as they are given to us. The Northern Star is not endorsing SGA candidates.