SGA candidate profile: Clayton Schopfer

By Northern Star Staff

The following is the response to a Northern Star questionnaire sent to all SGA candidates. Answers have been lightly edited for clarity and consistency.

Schopher is running for a senator position for an NIU colleges & academics seat.

Name: Clayton Schopfer

Year in School: Sophomore

Major: Political Science and Spanish

Hometown: Sycamore, IL

Why do you want to be part of SGA?

I want to be a part of SGA so that I can continue to advocate for the interests of the students at NIU. SGA is the students’ voice on all important matters at NIU, and by being involved in SGA, I can assure that that voice is heard.

What do you hope to accomplish during your term?

I am hoping to work with the Speaker of the Senate to lead us through difficult times and represent our students’ interests as the university begins to open in the fall. I want to assure that NIU is a healthy and positive campus for all.

Why should students vote for you?

In pursuit of this goal, I started a winter clothing drive for all students and faculty at NIU. This drive wraps up this Thursday on March 26th. I have been a member of the SGA Senate for nearly two years now, and have the experience of how to handle the responsibilities of Senator as well as make changes on behalf of and advocate for the student body.

What do you think is NIU’s biggest area of improvement?

I believe that NIU’s biggest area of improvement needs to be its campus and the welfare of the students who inhabit it. As students began to come back to campus in the fall the circumstances in which people live will become more and more relevant. Many of my fellow classmates have complained of poor water quality in the dormitories as well as a variety of other issues related to their living situations. If we can work to improve our students’ experience on campus as well as keep costs down as much as possible, we will have done our job well.

Why is student government important to you? Why should the student body care about it?

Student government is important to me because it provides us students with an institutional voice in all important debates and negotiations happening at NIU. If you have really any worry, complaint, or idea about the university, the student government is your vehicle to making something happen.

The Northern Star is publishing the candidates’ responses to our questions as they are given to us. The Northern Star is not endorsing SGA candidates.