SGA candidate profile: Emma Hazen

By Northern Star Staff

The following is the response to a Northern Star questionnaire sent to all SGA candidates. Answers have been lightly edited for clarity and consistency.

Hazen is running for the vice president position in the executive branch.

Name: Emma Hazen

Year in school: Sophomore

Major: Political Science and NNGO studies

Hometown: Urbana, IL

Why do you want to be part of SGA?

SGA is a highly active organization on campus. It is the best way for students to voice their needs to the administration of NIU. As a student of NIU, I have seen numerous ways that student life could be improved with a clear line of communication between the study body and staff, and SGA is the best way to achieve this.

What do you hope to accomplish during your term?

During my term, I want to accomplish advocacy for minority students. My goal is to give a voice to everyone within the student body. As a student with a disability, I have experienced struggles at NIU that need attention and action. I also want to focus on accomplishing what students ask for when they speak up. I feel that students are often heard, but nothing comes of it.

Why should students vote for you?

Students should vote for me because I want to connect the issues of student life with practical solutions. Working as vice president of SGA would allow me to work for the changes that I, and many others, want to see in everyday student life. My aim as vice president is to accomplish the common needs of students.

What do you think is NIU’s biggest area of improvement?

NIU’s biggest area of improvement would be the social and academic sphere of student life. I believe the campus needs to encourage a healthy balance of both aspects of the educational experience. This would include allowing events for students to enjoy their time with peers, as well as creating additional academic and mental health resources. A large portion of the students at NIU struggle with this balance and lack assistance as they transition through this stage of their lives.

The Northern Star is publishing the candidates’ responses to our questions as they are given to us. The Northern Star is not endorsing SGA candidates.