Weekly events: Week of March 29

Northern Star Staff

Monday

Tuesday

• “Very Well, Thank You”: The Arts as a Means to Well-being: The NIU Art Museum will showcase an exhibition that investigates the unique role and way the visual and performing arts assist in maintaining social, psychological, and physical health and happiness. The exhibition in Altgeld Hall will be open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Contact artmuseum@niu.edu for more information.
  • Hospitality 320 “Ellington’s” served at The Depot: Campus Dining Services will serve three pork tacos, warm handmade corn tortillas topped with fresh pico de gallo and cilantro served with rice and beans for $7.99 from noon to 1 p.m. at the Depot C-store in the Holmes Student Center.
  • Period Project Pick Up: The Gender and Sexuality Resource Center will provide free tampons and pads to students and community members. Text 302-601-1508 to pick up the products at the GSRC front porch.
  • Finding Forward: Counseling and Consultation Services will host a virtual workshop at 1 p.m. for anyone wanting to boost their resilience to respond to life demands and COVID-19 stress. Contact Giselle Navarro at gnavarro5@niu.edu for more information.
  • Resume Writing – The Essentials: Career Services will host a virtual resume writing workshop at 1 p.m. for students who are creating their first resume or updating their resume. Contact Edward Heard at edwardheard@niu.edu for more information.
  • Outdoor Adventures Lagoon Hourly Boat Rentals: Outdoor Adventures will offer hourly boat rentals at the East Lagoon from 4 to 6 p.m. Students can sign up for $5 an hour for a rental time starting on the hour and select canoe, kayak or stand-up paddleboard. Contact outdooradventure@niu.edu for more information.
  • SGA Spring 2021 Election Candidate Meet and Greet in the HSC: Students can meet the candidates for the Student Government Association to learn more about their platform at 4 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center in the OASIS.
  • OHANA – Holi Festival: Holi Festival is a traditional Asian festival known as ‘festival of colors’ and the ‘festival of love’ originated from Hindu culture. The session at 5 p.m. via Microsoft Teams will provide the opportunity to learn about the culture of the festival. Contact Yoon Jae Jeon at yjeon1@niu.edu for more information.
  • NIU Law — Race and Law Conversation on Environmental Justice: Students can join the virtual “Environmental Justice: Communities in Crisis” at 5:30 p.m. as part of its Race and the Law Conversations Series. Contact Melody Mitchell at mmitchell@niu.edu for more information.
  • Rebuilding Democracy Lecture Series: Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL 16): Rep. Adam Kinzinger will be discussing a variety of topics such as rebuilding democracy, energy, agriculture and foreign affairs with Dean Robert Brinkmann at 6 p.m. Registration is required. Contact Paula Meyer at clas-communication@niu.edu for more information.

Wednesday

Thursday

• NIU Communiversity Gardens Plant Sale: The NIU Community Gardens will be selling houseplants, herbs, flowers and vegetables online for $2.50 to $6. Pickup options take place in late April and early May. Contact Melissa Burlingame at niucg@niu.edu for more information.
  • Virtual Coffee Hour: The commenter lounge is reopening virtually for a coffee hour at 11 a.m. Contact Marissa Dordick at mdordick1@niu.edu for more information.
  • Hospitality 320 “Ellington’s” served at The Depot: Campus Dining Services will serve chicken enchiladas with Mexican red rice and churros for $7.99 from noon to 1 p.m. at the Depot C-store in the Holmes Student Center.
  • Interviewing – The Essentials: Career Services will host an interviewing workshop for students to prepare for job and internship interviews at 1 p.m. via Microsoft Teams. Contact Joyce Keller at jkeller@niu.edu for more information.
  • Internships 101: Part 2: Career Services will host a workshop on how to look for an internship at 1:30 p.m. Registration is required. Contact careerservices@niu.edu for more information.
  • April Fools’ Day Egg Hunt: Join CAB and Outdoor Adventures for a day of fun at 3 p.m. near the east lagoon Outdoor Adventures boat rack. Hunt for treat-filled eggs, win prizes and don’t get fooled by pranks!

Friday