Do you know where ‘4/20’ comes from?

Getty Images

March cannabis sales totaled nearly $36 million, a portion of which will go toward communities impacted by the war on drugs.

By Brandon Montemayor

DeKALB — Tuesday is April 20, a day both smokers and non-smokers will recognize as the marijuana holiday “4/20,” an annual celebration where weed-smokers alike kick back and spark up. 

Depending on where you’re from, there are all sorts of different stories and lore behind the unofficial holiday’s origin. From the supposed number of active chemicals in marijunna, the police code for marijuana calls and even going as far as saying it’s named after a Bob Dylan song.

These stories aside, the one that is actually attributed with the “4/20” origin dates back to 1971 and is that of five students from San Rafael High School in Marin County, California. 

The group of students, Steve Capper, Dave Reddix, Jeffrey Noel, Larry Schwartz and Mark Gravich, would meet at 4:20 p.m. to smoke after school, according to TIME Magazine. This would become routine for the group who would later use the scheduled time as slang or an inside joke by saying “‘4/20’  to each other as code for marijuana,” according to the article. 

However, Illinoisans will not need to slyly celebrate in code, though they will need to be out of high school, as the age to purchase marijuana is 21 since recreational marijuanna use became legal in 2020. 

To celebrate responsibly here is a list of dispensaries in the area for those looking to partake in the festivities;

SUNNYSIDE: 2696 McFarland Rd., Rockford, & 1739 E Golf Rd., Schaumburg

Verilife: 161 S. Lincolnway #301, North Aurora

Zen Leaf: 3714 Illinois Ave, St. Charles