NIU to require masks for all individuals on campus

Northern Star file photo

A mask is taped to NIU’s Olive Goyle statue next to Altgeld Hall. NIU has made changes to mask guidelines on campus, following Pritzker’s plan to lift mandates.

By Northern Star Staff

DeKALB – NIU will continue to require face masks for all individuals, including those who are fully vaccinated, while indoors with few exemptions, according to a May 18 NIU announcement email.

The university plans to require face masks for all individuals, even those who are fully vaccinated, on campus in light of the recent Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announcement that lifted indoor mask guidelines for fully vaccinated people.  

Face masks won’t be required in cases of private offices or personal workspaces on campus, in meetings where all people are fully vaccinated and in research labs where all people are fully vaccinated, according to the email. Supervisors may ask employees to voluntarily disclose their vaccination status or show proof. 

Fully vaccinated people are defined as those who are now past the two weeks following their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or their one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.  

“The university has reviewed the recent CDC guidance regarding wearing face masks and consulted with both the state and the DeKalb County Health Department,” the email reads. “Because there is currently no way to determine easily who has been fully vaccinated, the default will remain that all individuals—regardless of vaccination status—must wear face masks while indoors.” 

Face masks will not be required outdoors for anyone who is fully vaccinated or who is not fully vaccinated but can maintain physical distancing. Attendees at graduation ceremonies will be required to wear a face mask because of the large number of children younger than 12. 

“Although the easing of face mask requirements is an indication that the end of the pandemic is near, we expect our university community to continue to show compassion and grace to fellow Huskies,” the email reads.