NIU students to participate in ‘AIDS Walk’

By Kevin Lyons

A group of students from Lincoln Hall will be participating in “AIDS Walk Chicago” on Sunday near Grant Park.

Residents and resident assistants are taking an NIU van to the event to help raise money for AIDS research.

“AIDS Walk Chicago” is in its third and biggest year, Stephan Donovan, executive director for AIDS Walk said.

He said he expects extensive news coverage from all major newspapers and TV stations, including CNN.

“We’ve had an overwhelming response this year,” Donovan said. “We have close to 300 volunteers and anticipate over 24,000 walkers.”

Donovan said the past two years have drawn about 10,000 and 7,000 walkers, respectively. Over 11,000 walkers are already signed up for this year, 1,000 more than the ‘92 goal.

“Whites, blacks, Hispanics, straights and gays will all be participating in the walk,” Donovan said.

“It’s a good way to get NIU recognized at a national event,” Jim Novak, Lincoln Hall R.A. said.

“The media will be there and we can show people that college students do care about national issues,” Novak said.

Novak said about 10 students are signed up now, but he hopes to have about 20 by Sunday.

He said the walkers from Lincoln will be wearing NIU shirts and carrying signs for the TV cameras.

“There seems to be a really good response,” Novak said, “but getting people to pledge money is a little difficult on a college campus.”

Jon Poblador, junior, painting major will also be participating.

“I’m really looking forward to it,” he said. “Even if no one pledges it will be fun to show my support.”

Proceeds from the walk will go to a number of AIDS clinics and services in the Chicagoland area, Donovan said.

Participants will begin a 10 kilometer walk at 11:30 a.m. just east of Lake Shore Drive between Randolph and Monroe streets. They will walk along Lake Michigan to the Adler Planetarium and back to Wacker Drive.

Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. There will also be food and entertainment.

For more information on registering for “AIDS Walk Chicago,” call (312)334-0448.