President Lisa Freeman: How to succeed as a Huskie

File Photo

President Freeman recounts the advice she was given by her late mother.

By Lisa C. Freeman, President of NIU

Welcome, Huskies, to a new academic year filled with opportunities to explore, grow your knowledge, build relationships and, importantly, bring you one step closer to a life-changing degree from NIU. 

When it comes to being a successful Huskie, here are three things I want you to know as you start the semester: 

• Successful Huskies care about the entire pack. We embrace our diversity and welcome the opportunity to consider perspectives different than our own. We help protect each other’s health, well-being and safety. We treat each other with respect and kindness. 
  • Successful Huskies ask for help and utilize NIU’s resources. Every Huskie needs and deserves help, both in and out of the classroom, while they are students. Reach out to your professors, tap into tutoring and work closely with your advisors. NIU’s Center for Student Assistance is a great first stop to connect you to resources and to guide you in the right direction for any need. 
  • Successful Huskies are active and involved. NIU offers a wide variety of student organizations, on-campus jobs, indoor and outdoor recreation opportunities, cultural centers, spectator events, service opportunities and more to explore passions and make lasting friendships. Find a community where you can feel a sense of belonging and share your voice and ideas. Don’t be afraid to try something new and different!

Your bright future at NIU begins now.

Go Huskies,

Lisa C. Freeman

President