Hoppe header give Huskies extra time win over Indiana State

Courtesy of Scott Walstrom/NIU Athletics

The NIU women’s soccer team mobs then-graduate student forward Haley Hoppe after scoring the winning goal against Indiana State on Aug. 22, 2021, in DeKalb. Hoppe’s goal in the 104th minute gave the Huskies their first victory of the 2021 season.

By James Krause

DeKALB — Two goals from graduate student forward Haley Hoppe carried the women’s soccer team to a 2-1 sudden death overtime win against the Indiana State University Sycamores Sunday in DeKalb.

Hoppe scored the first goal of regulation with under three minutes remaining with the assist of freshman defenseman Kali Stock. After a last-minute goal by Indiana State forced overtime, Hoppe finished the game with another score off a corner kick assisted by Stock.

Head Coach Julie Colhoff complimented her team’s ability to rebound after a lapse in defense late forced overtime.

“I said to our team that they deserved to be in that situation because they put themselves in that situation,” said Colhoff in an Aug. 22 NIU Athletics news release. “Then we had to pull ourselves out of it, and to our players’ credit, they dug deep and did the little things that they knew were going to pay off, so I am proud of them for that.”

After allowing six goals in their season opener against the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, the Huskies’ defense kept the Sycamores to 10 shots over 104 minutes. Junior goalkeeper, and University of North Texas transfer, Sadie McGill had six saves in her first start for the Huskies.

Junior goalkeeper Sadie McGill prepares for an attack in an Aug. 22 match in DeKalb against Indiana State. McGill had six saves in her first game for NIU. (Courtesy of Scott Walstrom/NIU Athletics)

Colhoff also commended Stock on her ability to adjust to prior mistakes in her corner kicks.

“It says a lot for a freshman to step up and consistently deliver,” Colhoff said. “Her very first one went out of bounds, but after that she said, ‘Alright, I’ve got this.’ Haley has always been a threat in the air, but we have struggled in previous seasons getting her the ball in that way, so it is good to see those two connect in that way.”

The Huskies and Sycamores were still scoreless tie after the first half. NIU only managed one shot on goal in the first half from sophomore forward Kierah Meier in the fifth minute.

NIU were able to amp up their shot production with Hoppe getting off seven shots in the second half. Nothing connected for Hoppe until the 88th minute when she scored off a header to go up 1-0.

The Huskies’ defense had held strong until 55 seconds remaining in regulation. Indiana State tied the game at 1-1 off a goal from freshman forward Mackenzie Kent to force overtime.

After no score in the first overtime period, the game moved to a sudden death period. NIU received another header from Hoppe in the 104th minute, scoring the golden goal of the match.

NIU’s record moves to 1-1-0 as the team prepares for their next contest at 5 p.m. Thursday against the Chicago State University Cougars in DeKalb.