Academic Diversity Centers introduced students to their programs

Northern Star File Photo

Eric Jones, acting director for the Center for Southeast Asian Studies (from left), assistant Director Jui-Chang Wang and 13 of the 15 2018-2019 Foreign Language Area Studies Fellows pose in front of the center.

By Gabriel Fiorini

DeKALB – Members of the Academic Diversity Centers gathered outside the Latino and Latin American Studies Center Thursday to inform students about NIU’s minors, certificates and organizations.

Several of the academic study programs offer minors, certificates and other opportunities for students. Many students may even be taking one or more of their classes as a gen ed and are closer to a minor than they may think. 

“One of the goals of the event is to get the word out about how easy it is to get the minor while pursuing your major,” said Christina Abreu, director of Latino Studies. “We only have the two required courses for the (Latino Studies) minor, and both of those courses are gen eds. We joke. It’s kind of the accidental minor.” 

Many of the courses required for these minors are interdisciplinary, so it is important to check if you are already taking them, Abreu said. 

Jasmine Reeder, a first-year psychology major, said her counselor informed her about the minor in Southeast Asian Studies. 

“So, I’m a freshman, and (Southeast Asian studies) was kinda the only class that was open,” Reeder said. “I took that and then the (Indonesian) instrument class too. And so I was talking to my counselor to just become a Southeast Asia minor.”

On top of informing about the programs offered, the event aimed to display the many different cultural centers on campus and bring an appreciation to them, said Darius Jackson, adviser to the Latino and Latin American studies program and event coordinator.

“I am hoping to see all cultural backgrounds of our students, faculty and staff come together and appreciate each other’s time,” Jackson said. “This is a welcoming learning experience that invites everyone to learn more about our peers. With cultural food and entertainment representation from each center, we are excited for the opportunities this event will bring for the campus.” 

At the event, there were many different types of food and music from different cultures. Attendees munched on Boy Bawang-branded corn nuts from the Philippines as NIU Banda’s rendition of Pedro Fernandez’s “Yo No Fui” coursed through the crowd. 

An orchestra of Indonesian instruments called “Gamelan” sat in front of the Latino Studies building parking lot. Players in the Gamelan ensemble serenaded the crowd with their percussion-heavy performance. The Gamelan instrumental preceded the final musical act of the event, a traditional Thai drum circle. 

Ankar Kyaw, president of the Burma Interest Group, said he was happy with the turnout of about 40 students. Last year’s open house occurred remotely over Zoom.   

“It’s a little bit more (of a turnout) than we had in the previous years, but we haven’t had this for a year due to COVID,” Kyaw said.