Weekly events: Week of Aug. 30

By Northern Star Staff

Monday

• CAB Info Nights: Campus Activities Board will host info nights for students to learn more about CAB’s four committees and how students can get involved. The first info night will be at 7 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center OASIS. Contact CAB’s graduate assistant Mariah Osborne at [email protected] for more information.
  • Huskie Conversation Cafe Podcast Season 3: Social Justice Education will host their third season of the Huskie Conversation Cafe Podcast. J Pappas, assistant director of social justice education, will discuss the 2021 NIU Common Read Experience book with local guest experts across the campus. For more information, contact J Pappas at [email protected]
  • The IMAGES from SCIENCE exhibition: series will continue from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Jack Olson Gallery in Jack Arends Hall, Room 200. This series is a collaborative experiment that began at the Rochester Institute of Technology in 2002 and aims to explore the boundaries of what is possible using the Internet as its primary voice to identify the world’s most striking images. IMAGES from SCIENCE 3 includes still and moving pictures and animations and illustrations.
  • NIU Autism Caregiver Group Virtual Coffee Chat: The Autism Caregiver Group will host a virtual coffee chat from 1-2 p.m. to meet or reconnect with families as the new school year is starting. To join, RSVP by emailing Allison Gladfelter, associate professor for the College of Health and Human Sciences, at [email protected] to receive the Zoom link. For more information, visit Autism Caregiver Group’s website.
  • Improve Your APA – 7th Edition: The Writing Center and the Graduate School will host an interactive workshop to help students improve their understanding on how to use APA, the most commonly used documentation style at NIU. The workshop will be at 4 p.m. and it is virtual. Students will learn to track sources on reference pages, how to use in-text citations, how to use citation generators, research management systems and more. Attendees are encouraged to bring their work or specific questions. Click here to register.
  • NIU Esports Varisty Overwatch Tryouts: Esports will host their varsity tryouts for their Overwatch roster from 7-10 p.m. at the Esports Arena in the lower level of Neptune North. To participate, sign up here and join Esports’ Discord. For more information, contact Overwatch head coach Alex Kramer at [email protected].

Tuesday

• Refuge and Refugee: This exhibit includes the work of 10 artists that were moved by current events and news reports and used their art to express their shock, horror and critique of government policies and their compassion for people impacted by the global humanitarian crisis, according to the NIU event calendar. The exhibit is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the art museum on the first floor of Altgeld Hall. The exhibit is free and open to the public.​​
  • The Art of Surviving: The Journey of Karen Refugees in Illinois: This exhibit is based on work done by PhD and Masters of Arts students who either lived with the refugee camps along the Burma-Thai Border or who worked with Illinois Karen Refugee communities for the last 15 years. The exhibit is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the art museum on the first floor of Altgeld Hall. The Karen are an ethnic group in southern Burma/Myanmar that has been in conflict with the government since 1949 that first called for an independent state and now calls for representation in the national government. The exhibit is free and open to the public.
  • I Know What I Think: Using Language Effectively: This event will be hosted by the Writing Center and the Graduate School to help students explore nuances of academic writing from common phrases and sentence structures to conventional terms and how to utilize those skills effectively. The workshop is from 4-5:15 p.m. and will be virtual. Click here to register.
  • OHANA! Night: OHANA! Night will be hosted by the Asian American Resource Center from 5-6 p.m. at the center to teach students more about the program. Topics include academic success, cultural education, leadership and community building. For more information, contact Yoon Jae Jeon, associate director for the Asian American Resource Center, at [email protected].
  • Examining the Case for Reparations: The College of Law will host this event as part of its Race and Law Conversation at 6 p.m. virtually. U.S. Congresswoman Shelia Jackson Lee will be part of the conversation and Law Dean Cassandra Hill will moderate. Registration is required. For more information, contact Melody Mitchell, chief of staff for the College of Law, at [email protected]
  • Finance Investment Introduction: This event aims to teach students more about finances and the stock market. The intro will be from 7:30-8:30 p.m. at Barsema Hall, Room 301. For more information, contact Chair of Finance Gina Nicolosi at [email protected].
  • The Jazz in Progress:The band will perform a free concert from 7:30-9 p.m. at Hopkins Park, 1403 Sycamore Road. The band will play a variety of music like Swing-era, funk from the ‘60s and ‘70s and a number of vocal and instrumental soloists. For more information, contact Jay Monteiro, business and administrative associate, at (815) 766-1925.

Wednesday

• Innovation Hours: The Office of Innovation will start Innovation Hours from 9 a.m. to noon every Wednesday and Thursday morning in the 71 North Partnership Studio in the Founder’s Memorial Library. Students will get the chance to meet the innovation team and get personalized support for their innovation ideas and projects, no matter what stage those ideas are in. To book a scheduled session, contact the innovation team at [email protected].
  • Northwestern Mutual Meet and Greet Table: A meet and greet will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Barsema Hall’s Atrium to recruit students for internships and full-time opportunities.
  • The Huskie Food Pantry Open: The food pantry will be open 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays and 5-7 p.m. Thursdays at the Chick Evans Field House. For those who cannot make it to normal hours of operation, contact the Center for Student Assistance at (815) 753-8300 or [email protected].
  • COVID-19 Mobile Vaccination Clinic: The DeKalb County Health Department will hold a COVID-19 mobile vaccination clinic from noon to 3 p.m. at the Martin Luther King Commons. No appointment is necessary.
  • Latin Chill: To kick off Latino Heritage month in September, the Latin Chill will be hosted as a free event for students to meet and greet the Latinx student organizations and learn how to get involved. The Latin Chill will be from 4-6 p.m. at the Latino Resource Center. For more information, contact Luis Santos-Rivas, director of the Latino Resource Center, at [email protected].
  • Sister Circle: Sister Circle will host their first event from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center’s conference room. Sister Circles are spaces welcoming of transgender and nonbinary students and provide opportunities for all to connect, communicate and learn from each other with the support from NIU’s staff. For more information, contact Ariel Owens, assistant director for the Women and Gender Programs, at [email protected].

Thursday

• Operating Staff Council: The Operating Staff Council will meet at 9 a.m. the first Thursday of every month and all meetings are currently virtual. To receive a link to join, contact the Operating Staff Council at (815) 753-7193 or [email protected].
  • Mowery and Schoenfeld Barsema Hall Meet & Greet: An information table will be available from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Barsema Hall’s Atrium to discuss internship and job opportunities with students.
  • Innovation Conversation: Paul Lightfoor Founder and President of BrightFarms: As part of the Innovation Conversation series, Paul Lightfood, founder and president of BrightFarms, will talk about controlled environment agriculture and the role it will play in the future of food systems. Lightfoot will speak from 3-4 p.m. at the Founder’s Memorial Library, 71 North.
  • Through Every Fiber: This exhibit opens from 4:30-6 p.m. in Cole Hall, Room 114. The exhibit was curated with students in the Certificate in Museum Studies program and museum interns and explores nine textile-making practices from communities around the world. Each section offers a glimpse into the processes, technologies, and resulting products within these diverse practices, according to the NIU event calendar.
  • Curator’s Talk: The Making of the Exhibition: Catherine Raymond, curator of the Burma art collection, will introduce two alumni whose work inspired the Burma exhibit. The alumni will share their experience and the process of making this exhibition happen with the participation of the Aurora Karen community, according to the NIU event calendar. This event will be from 6-7 p.m. virtual with limited in-person seating available at Altgeld Hall, Room 125.
  • Traditions: A Peek into the Greek Community: This event is a workshop for students interested in learning more about Greek-lettered organizations whether they are members of Greek life or not. There will be a presentation, a Q&A and a conversation from 6-8 p.m. at the Holmes Student Center.

Friday

• Welcome Picnic for New International Students: There will be a welcome picnic for new international students from 3-5 p.m. at the East Lagoon. There will be boating, games and refreshments. To register, click here.
  • What I Embody Art Series: Paint Pouring: What I Embody is a series taking place from 3-4:30 p.m. at the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center. Participants can reflect on how LGBTQ+ identities interact with life as a whole and explore paint pouring techniques. Materials will be provided on a first come, first serve basis.
  • Bonfire with the United Greek Council: The United Greek Council will host a bonfire from 7-9 p.m. at the East Lagoon. 
  • First Friday Bingo: Campus Activities Board will host their First Friday Bingo from 7-9 p.m. at the Holmes Student Center’s Club 1895, located in the lower den.