Study Abroad 101 to discuss how students can apply, where to travel

Northern Star file photo

The Study Abroad Office, Williston Hall Room 417, will answer questions and cover general information about studying abroad.

By Gabriel Fiorini

DeKALB— A short presentation about the study abroad program will be held at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Study Abroad Office, Williston Hall, Room 417. One of the department’s advisors will lead the session and will cover questions and general information about studying abroad. 

Lauren Mock, director of the study abroad program, said that the session will provide students with a general overview of the program. Students at the session will go over the basics of the program’s portfolio and the cost of studying abroad.

“We have been stuck at home for a long time, so I hope students start thinking about other academic opportunities, and I’m hoping study abroad is one of them,” Mock said.

Countries that currently do not allow U.S. citizens, as well as other countries whose coronavirus spread rate crosses a certain threshold, will be inaccessible to students in the program.

“In a normal year, we would have been able to run programs in 80 different countries; that obviously will not be the case this year,” Mock said.

The specific countries students are allowed to visit are determined on a case-by-case basis. The department’s director and advisor monitor a prospective country’s rate of infection and determine whether or not students should travel. 

The program has a handful of students abroad currently, as well as six potential students for the spring semester.