Women’s soccer falls to Redbirds

Zak Ahmed

Women’s soccer head coach Julie Colhoff on the sidelines of NIU’s match Aug. 26 against Chicago State. The Huskies fall to 2-2 on the season after a loss to Eastern Kentucky.

By Davione Barrow, Sports Reporter

DeKALB — The Illinois State University Redbirds were able to edge past the Huskies with a 4-2 victory on Sunday. A combined total of thirty-five shots were attempted between both the NIU Huskies and the Redbirds.

Senior midfielder Natalie Vaughn-Low of the Redbirds led the team with two of the four goals scored for the team and was aggressive in finding the back of the net.  

Graduate forward Haley Hoppe and sophomore forward Kierah Meier maintained an aggressive level of play on both sides of the ball for the Huskies throughout the contest. 

However, the Huskies started the game off fairly sloppy and were not very engaged defensively, allowing the Redbirds to get nine shot attempts in the first half. 

In the 22nd minute, Vaughn-Low checked in and immediately notched a goal for the Redbirds in the next minute of play, shifting the moment and giving ISU an early lead. 

The Huskies had not been as belligerent as the Redbirds in the first half, only having two shot attempts coming in the first twenty minutes of play. 

A minute into the second half, Vaughn-Low scored a goal for the Redbirds, furthering the lead and adding another goal to her total. 

Hoppe immediately responded back by getting into the box and putting up multiple shots at the goal. In the 51st minute, Hoppe scored for the Huskies, and one minute later, Meier was able to score as well. 

Both teams were very intrusive in getting their shots up and setting up others for open opportunities to score. 

Senior midfielder Logan Ziegler of ISU came in the game in the 66th minute and instantly made an impact, assisting on a goal to redshirt junior midfielder Indiana Asimus the very next minute.  

The Huskies’ backline of defense allowed a lot of Redbirds shot opportunities and committed sixteen fouls throughout the contest, ten of which were in the first half. 

In the 82nd minute, junior forward Allison Baker scored a goal to give the Redbirds a two goal lead over the Huskies. 

“I think we had two good goals but we became satisfied and celebrated too early,” head coach Julie Colhoff said in a Sept. 12 NIU press release. “Even though all we did was tie the game and Illinois State continued to fight and won the game because of it.”

The Huskies have a few days off to prepare for their next match at 6 p.m. Friday at Dana Dykhouse Stadium in South Dakota to face the South Dakota State University Jackrabbits.