NIU Homecoming events for 2021

Northern Star File Photo

The NIU sign stands in the heart of campus. Students have a lot of events to look forward to this semester. (Northern Star File photo)

By Northern Star Staff

Monday

• Monochromatic Day: Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to dress in all one color. Post a photo of your monochromatic outfit on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with the tag #HuskiePride and #NIUDressUpDays to enter a daily prize giveaway.
  • Lighting the HSC Red for Homecoming: NIU’s home student center will be lit up red all week in celebration of Homecoming. 
  • Trivia Scavenger Hunt: Students can participate in the hunt by solving riddles and heading to locations around Dekalb County. For a chance to win daily prizes send photos of solved riddles to the Dekalb County Convention & Visitors Bureau Facebook page, Instagram page or email [email protected].
  • Homecoming Royalty Court Elections 2021: The link to cast votes for the Homecoming Royalty Court will go live on Wednesday, at noon and closes on Friday, at noon. 
  • Homecoming Safety: The Holmes Student Center will host a presentation regarding student safety as NIU celebrates homecoming at 4:30 p.m. 

Tuesday

• Character Day: Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to dress as their favorite movie or TV show character. Post a photo of your outfit on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with the tag #HuskiePride and #NIUDressUpDays to enter a daily prize giveaway.
  • COE Tailgate Tuesday: The College of Education will host a tailgate event at 11:00 a.m. on the lawn of Anderson Hall. Attendees can look forward to games, lunch and prizes.
  • Plant Restoration Project: Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to join Dr. Holly Jones and her inaugural Restoration Ecology course. Those who attend will help restore the shoreline of the East Lagoon at 11:00 a.m.
  • 2nd Annual NIU LGBTQ+ Alumni and Friends Homecoming Virtual Social: The Gender and Sexuality Resource Center will host its second virtual social via Zoom. LGBTQ+ pride trivia, LGBTQ+ updates and a meet and greet will be featured at the virtual event starting at 6:30 p.m.

Wednesday

• Wacky Day: Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to “Mismatch your clothes, go all crazy on your hair and dress like you just don’t care!” Post a photo of your outfit on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with the tag #HuskiePride and #NIUDressUpDays to enter a daily prize giveaway.
  • Paint your Paw: The MLK Commons will host a homecoming event in which participants can paint a customized paw print on canvas.
  • Guest Speaker: Julissa Arce: Arce, a national best-selling author, speaker, social justice advocate and former wall street executive will hold an open discussion on living undocumented and fighting assimilation. The virtual event will occur at 5 p.m. Registration is required to attend the event.
  • Late Night Movie: The Holmes Student Center will host a movie night in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium. To vote for which movie will be shown visit the NIU Facebook or Instagram page. 

Thursday 

• Decades Day: To celebrate homecoming, first-year students will dress in ’90s attire, sophomores in ’80s attire, juniors in 70s attire, seniors in ’60s attire and graduate students and law students in 50s attire. Faculty, staff and alumni will wear 2021 college student apparel. Post a photo of your outfit on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with the tag #HuskiePride and #NIUDressUpDays to enter a daily prize giveaway.

Friday

• Spirit Day: Students, faculty and staff can participate on Friday by dressing in Black and Red. Post a photo of your outfit on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with the tag #HuskiePride and #NIUDressUpDays to enter a daily prize giveaway.
  • 2021 NIU Alumni Association Awards: The Alumni Association will recognize select alumni based on outstanding achievements in their respective fields. The awards will be held outside Altgeld Hall.
  • Richard A. Flournory Homecoming Inclusion: Recipients of the Richard A. Flournory Engagement award will be honored from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Ellington’s in the Holmes Student Center. A student, alumni, faculty and staff member will be awarded for their demonstration of contributing to developing campus inclusivity, diversity and equity.
  • NIU Women’s Volleyball vs Eastern Michigan: NIU’s women’s volleyball team will play against Eastern Michigan at the Victor E. Court at 6 p.m.
  • A Night at Holmes: NIU will host a night of music games and prizes on the ground floor of the student center. The events will begin at 8 p.m. and end at midnight.
  • D9 & Park! NIU’s Top 9: The NPHC will host an on campus late-night party from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. at the student recreation center. The theme is 106 & Park 2000s era. The event will host an early 2000s best-dressed contest in which the winner will receive a certificate.

Saturday 

Sunday