Investigation yields suspect in stabbing

By Sabryna Cornish

Police have a suspect in the stabbing of a former NIU student whose condition has been upgraded.

Chicago resident Alphonso Knight, 19, was upgraded from critical to fair condition on June 9, said Maureen Murphy, a spokeswoman for Loyola Medical Center in Maywood.

Knight was stabbed in the side with a 12-inch knife during a fight on March 21 in the lobby of Grant Towers South. He remained in critical condition for more than 3 months.

State’s Attorney Michael Coghlan said there is a suspect in the case, but no arrest or charges have been made yet. Coghlan said the investigation still is underway.

The state’s attorney’s office and the University Police are continuing to work on the case together, he said.

University Police Lt. Kathy Guimond said “the case is still being investigated.”

A committee has been formed to look into security at dances and aftersets, said Donald Buckner, associate vice president for Student Affairs. Aftersets typically are held by black fraternities after a dance, Buckner said.

Buckner said the committee is a result of an ad hoc committee that has been looking at black greek dances for a couple of years. He said after the stabbing the committee tried to devise a security plan for black greek dances.

The committee will make recommendations to Barbara Henley, vice president for Student Affairs, in July, Buckner said.

He said the committee will recommend all aftersets and dances should be held at the Holmes Student Center. The committee also will recommend student security and one policeman to be present at dances or aftersets, Buckner said.

He said the new security measures would be similar to the plan at rock concerts and it would be monitored by University Programming and Activities.