Cross country runs at MAC meet

Brooke Lyte leads Huskies in conference meet, turn attention to Midwest Regionals in Iowa City

Courtesy of NIU Athletics

Then-redshirt senior Victoria Robinson runs at the Hawkeye Invitational in September 2021. The Huskies are set to begin their season Friday. (Photo courtesy NIU Athletics)

By Carlos Finney Jr., Sports Reporter

DeKALB — NIU cross country competed in the Mid-American Conference cross country Championship in Ypsilanti, Michigan, finishing in last place at 12th as a team.

Junior Brooke Lyte finished in the top 50 for the Huskies, placing 45th with a time of 22:37.1 and leading the way for the Huskies.

Head coach Jaime Moreno spoke on how she and the whole team felt about their performance in the MAC cross country championship. 

“We are disappointed with where we finished,” Moreno said in a Sunday NIU Athletics news release.  “At the same time, I’m proud of the team. They gave it their all. We have been dealing with a few different injuries and on a different day we probably could have finished four or five places higher. We are disappointed but we will keep working and be ready to give it everything we have next time.”

Not too far behind Lyte were team members redshirt senior Victoria Robinson who finished 51st with a time of 22:47.5 and graduate student Sara Atkins who finished 58th with a time of 22:54.8. 

The next four huskies to finish all came within just twenty seconds of each other as sophomore Julia Finegan would place 68th with a time of 23:10.6, senior Hannah Ricci finishing 73rd with a time of 23:16.1, freshman Joy Jackson placing 80th with a time of  23:22.6, and junior Kaitlin Miller placing 83rd with a time of 23:31.2. 

Toledo would win the MAC championship with their very own Joy Chirchir coming in first to take the individual win while Miami came in second, and Akron would come in third. 

NIU will compete next in the NCAA Midwest Regional on Nov. 12, in Iowa City, Iowa.