NIU Hall of Fame nominations open

Patrick Murphy | Northern Star

Entrance 2 of the NIU Convocation Center Sep. 2, 2020, in DeKalb, Illinois.

By Skyler Kisellus, Sports Reporter

DeKALB — NIU Athletics is currently seeking nominations for the NIU Athletics Hall of Fame class of 2022.

Since being founded in 1978, the NIU Athletics Hall of Fame has enshrined 211 individuals, 19 teams and one family to its roster. The Hall of Fame inducts new members every other year.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s induction of the Hall of Class of 2021 was rescheduled to take place next year. With the delay, new classes will now be selected during even years moving forward.

To be eligible for candidacy, Huskie student-athlete alumni and teams must be no less than 10 years removed from the competition of their intercollegiate athletics eligibility. For former coaches and administrators, candidates must have retired or departed the university at least five years before the previous year’s Hall of Fame induction class before they can be eligible for nomination.

“The community’s input in the selection process is an invaluable asset to the selection committee as they identify deserving hall of fame candidates,” said Rodney Davis, former Huskie men’s basketball player and 2007 Hall of Fame inductee, in an NIU Athletics news release. “I encourage NIU alumni, fans, family and friends to participate by submitting nominations online or via mail to ensure that all worthy individuals receive an open and fair opportunity to be a Huskie Hall of Famer.”

The nomination process is open to Individuals who wish to support the candidacy of Huskie standouts to be considered by the Hall of Fame committee. Candidates must have provided and/or exhibited outstanding contributions to intercollegiate athletics at NIU.

Nominations can be made through the online form or via mail using a printable PDF form. Nominators can send letters of nomination for each candidate to: Hall of Fame, NIU Intercollegiate Athletics, Convocation Center 203A, 1525 West Lincoln Highway, DeKalb, Illinois, 60115. 

Optional attachments such as online newspaper or magazine content, yearbooks, or scrapbooks may also be sent to this address. Nominators should be aware that any original support materials cannot be returned after submission.

Nominations must be made by January 31, 2022. Members of the Class of 2022 will be announced in April. The 2022 Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be held during NIU’s Homecoming in 2022. The exact date of the event has yet to be determined.