NIU Wrestling falls short to Rider

Slow start, late losses lead to Huskies falling in conference opening dual

Jarrett Huff | Northern Star

Then-redshirt first-year Izzak Olejnik grapples with University of Missouri redshirt first-year Peyton Mocco March 7 during his 4-3 win in the 2020 MAC Championship semifinals at the Convocation Center.

By Carlos Finney Jr., Sports Reporter

DeKALB — The NIU wrestling team faced Rider University Saturday in their Mid-American Conference opener where they would come up short, losing 20-14. 

“The guys wrestled really hard,” head coach Ryan Ludwig said in a Saturday NIU Athletics news release. “We just need to continue to work on our execution in scoring position. Looking forward to our next opportunity.”

The Huskies fell behind quickly down 14-0 through the first four matches. They returned the favor to Rider University by tying the match in the next four matches to even the score 14-14. 

Redshirt junior Anthony Gibson began the comeback with a 7-6 decision win over fellow redshirt junior Jake Silverstein at 157.

Redshirt junior Izzak Olejnik continued it with a 11-4 majority decision over redshirt junior Joe Casey at 165. Redshirt senior Mason Kaufmann made the score 14-10 after battling with sophomore Shane Reitsma to win 5-4.

Redshirt senior Brit Wilson was able to tie the match with his 12-4 majority decision win over redshirt senior George Walton. Wilson tacked on points in each period, leading to four team points to tie the dual.

The Wilson win was the end of the scoring for the Huskies as senior Tristin Guaman battled at 197 but lost 5-4. Redshirt junior Terrese Aaron tried his best to pick up the win against freshman David Szuba of the Broncos, but came up short in a 7-6 decision to give the final score of 20-14 in a Broncos win.

The Huskies next match is Sunday in West Lafayette, Ind. when they compete in the Boilermaker Duals. Their first match will be at 10 a.m. against Duke University, followed by meetings with Brown University and Purdue University.