UC to decide on new committee

By Jami Peterson

University Council members will determine Wednesday the fate of a proposed committee on initial teacher certification and toss around new ways for students to evaluate teachers.

UC Executive Secretary J. Carroll Moody said the most controversial issue at the final meeting will probably be whether the UC supports the Committee on Initial Teacher Certification or votes it down.

The committee, which has already been discussed at two open hearings, would set up a new policy for students to receive secondary education certificates through individual departments.

“The committee would be composed of representatives of all departments on campus where students can gain initial certification,” Moody said.

He said the current policy requires students to receive certification through the College of Education.

Also on the agenda, UC members will discuss the idea of changing the way students evaluate professors. At past meetings, some UC members said the process should provide more confidentiality for instructors.

The issue was tabled at past UC meetings, and a committee might be formed next fall to look at the policy, Moody said.

UC members also will be given the opportunity to evaluate a Family Leave Policy. “The policy allows people to take time off from work for a variety of family-related obligations,” Moody said.

At past meetings, some faculty members expressed concern with problems the policy causes for supportive professional staff, Moody said. The policy does not specifically apply to these faculty members. Moody said some members of the operating staff might also be concerned with the way the policy is stated.