Four Huskies reach finals of SIU’s Cougar Clash

Wilson, Kauffman take home titles while NIU places second

Patrick Murphy | Northern Star

NIU redshirt junior Mason Kauffman (right) struggles with his opponent, ranked UNI first-year Lance Runyon, Feb. 5, during NIU’s 27-9 loss to the University of Northern Iowa at the NIU Convocation Center in DeKalb.

By Carlos Finney Jr., Sports Reporter

DeKALB — The NIU wrestling team competed in the six-team Cougar Clash on Saturday and finished second behind the University of Wisconsin. 

The Huskies would finish with a total of 129.5 points, putting them just ahead of Brown University at 111.5 points. Two Huskies won their respective weight classes.

Redshirt senior Brit Wilson was able to continue his undefeated season by winning all three of his matches, two of them by falls.

Wilson’s first win came via pinfall, defeating Bellarmine University sophomore Darian Huff just 1:17 into the match. The 184-pounder would go on to defeat Wisconsin redshirt junior Tyler Dow via pinfall as well. In the championship round, Wilson would defeat a second Wisconsin wrestler in redshirt senior Chris Weiler with a score of 8-4 to win the final in the 184 pound weight class. 

Redshirt senior Mason Kauffman would be the other Huskie to win in his respective weight class of 174 pounds. First, Kauffman would defeat Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville graduate student Kevin Gschwendtner in the semifinals with a score of 8-5 as Kauffman received a bye in the first round. 

Kauffman would go on to win the final against University of Arkansas-Little Rock redshirt sophomore Triston Wills by decision with a score of 3-2.

Two Huskies, redshirt senior Bryce West at 125 pounds and redshirt junior Izzak Olejnik at 165 pounds, each made the finals in their respective classes. 

Bryce West got to the finals with pinfall wins over Brown’s junior Reese Fry and Bellarmine’s freshman Jack Parker. The 125-pounder lost to Wisconsin junior Eric Barnett by major decision, 13-5, in the finals. 

Olejnik shutout his two preliminary opponents before being pinned in the 165 pound final by Wisconsin freshman Dean Hamaiti.

Three Huskies would finish third. Redshirt junior Anthony Gibson scored 11.5 points, sophomore Michael Kaminski scored 12 points, and sophomore Lucian Brink scored 13 points for the Huskies.

NIU’s next match will be Saturday at the 31st Annual Art Kraft Memorial Tournament in River Grove, Illinois.