SGA to host Spring Involvement Fair

Julio Ceja | Northern Star

Students walk around the Fall Involvement Fair, talking to different student organizations.

DeKALB – Student Government Association will host a Spring 2022 Involvement Fair from 1 to 4 p.m. Feb. 2 in the Holmes Student Center to provide students with the opportunity to find new ways to get involved on campus. 

Students will be able to meet members of student organizations, learn more about the different organizations on campus and sign up for the clubs they are interested in. 

SGA president Devlin Collins said they wanted to do a spring involvement fair because the fall one was so successful and they want to encourage more people to get involved. 

“We’re also still seeing that not as many students are getting as involved as before COVID,” Collins said. “We want to do this spring Involvement fair and keep it going as kind of a yearly tradition just so organizations that may be smaller or having a harder time recruiting don’t feel left out when they miss their chance in the fall semester.”

NIU has over 300 student organizations registered on Huskie Link for students to get involved in. “These groups are classified as academic interest and professional, community service, diversity and cultural, governing bodies, fraternity and sororities, honorary societies, political, military, programming and performing, recreational and sports, religious, and social, to name a few,” according to the NIU website

Those interested in joining Greek Life will also get the chance to explore the 40 Greek organizations NIU has to offer. 

SGA will discuss their upcoming elections to fulfill executive and legislative positions in March. 

About 80 organizations have signed up for the fair so far, Collins said. 

Collins said SGA’s goal is to try to bring student life back to the way it was on campus before COVID-19, especially for those students who are new and never got to experience it. 

“We’re really trying to work on kind of recreating and bringing back that social atmosphere, that organizational culture before COVID and really we think (it) is one of the best things to do right now,” Collins said. “It’s still fresh early in the semester. You know, people are just now getting settled into classes. And I mean, it’s really the best time for them to start getting recruited into a student organization.” 

Collins recommends students come with an open mind and give any organization a try, because no one is going to turn them away from their tables.