SA vice president resigns position

By Jayna Ronayne

Sunday’s Student Association meeting yielded the resignation of a top official and a discussion of the racial tension on campus.

The format for the meeting was changed with the SA vice president’s report coming before the SA president’s so that SA Vice President John Quilico could resign from his office.

“I resign as vice president effective immediately,” Quilico said. “The reasons are personal and will not be discussed further.” Quilico also said he will work so that there will be a smooth transition for the next vice president.

SA President Preston Came said he is saddened by the loss of Quilico in the SA.

“It is a real sad day in SA history,” Came said. “John has put in a lot of time, and it’s real sad that it has come to this. We both have learned a lot this year about the SA, ourselves and life and I wish John the best.”

SA Treasurer Joe Kolerich agreed with Came concerning Quilico’s resignation.

“It saddens me that John Quilico felt he was compelled to quit his office,” Kolerich said.

In reference to why Quilico might have decided to resign, student Regent James Mertes made a plea to the SA to start supporting what they stand for.

“If you talk to him, I suspect he’ll say it was because he got very little support in what he did in the SA,” Mertes said. “I feel the same way. It’s hard to come before you every Sunday without your support, and I’m considering doing the same. Without your support, we can’t accomplish anything.”

In a move to committee as a whole, the SA discussed the problem of racial tension at NIU.

“There has been a campus attitude about the stabbing and elections that seem faulty,” said SA Minority Relations Adviser Nolen Hendreson.

“There have been two rallies on campus (the Omega Psi Phi rally and the rally opposing the Northern Star which were needed for what they were worth.” he said. “Something more needs to be done.”

Ideas for fighting racism on campus included Student Committee on Financial Aid Adviser Maurice Thomas’ thought to formulate a board to discuss the problems, Mertes’ idea to have a discussion with a mediator to address all the issues and SA Sen. Trevor Rice’s idea to have a committee to investigate The Northern Star’s reporting.

In a prepared statement, Came said, “We, the Student Association, hope to bring all the communities together so that we can move towards a colorblind campus.”