Tips to improve your LinkedIn profile

Madelaine Vikse

A LinkedIn account has become an even more important part of one’s ability to network with other individuals (Madelaine Vikse | Northern Star)

By Bailey Eschbach, Lifestyle writer

LinkedIn is one of the most popular forms of professional social media that is primarily used for professional networking and career development. Students are often encouraged to use LinkedIn to better their professionalism and find internships and jobs related to their major, but the app can be difficult to navigate for first-time users. 

One of the best resources that NIU has for students looking for job opportunities in their projected career path or just trying to make more professional connections is going to the Career Services Building. Cathy Doederlein, director of Career Services, has a variety of information for anyone unsure of how to get the most out of LinkedIn. 

“Definitely include the fact that you are an NIU student,” Doederlein said. “Include any certifications that you have and look for certifications that you can get online. Also remember to include any relevant work experience.” 

Although students may not have much experience in their field, anything that can be provided will be useful for employers to gain a better understanding of what they do or don’t know, Doederlein said.

As for what not to include in a LinkedIn profile, “you don’t want LinkedIn to be a parallel to whatever your personal social media is,” Doederlein said. “Not that you can’t have some of your personality come through in your LinkedIn account, but you don’t want it to be more about the social side of things; you truly want it to reflect your professional persona.”

One of the most important things users can do to make the most of their LinkedIn account is to connect with alumni that are in job fields that interest them. Other than professional connections, it is important to be actively using LinkedIn and continuously updating your profile. LinkedIn is and has become incredibly important and beneficial. 

“It’s (having a LinkedIn profile) right up there with having a good resume,” Doederlein said.

For NIU students still unsure or nervous about creating a LinkedIn profile, check out Career Services for upcoming workshops specifically created for helping students learn more about LinkedIn.  

“I think that LinkedIn and your LinkedIn profile is going to be something that more and more employers start using to recruit talent,” Doederlein said. “Whether it’s making those networks based off of NIU alums or doing your research on employers and looking for jobs because employers are indeed posting opportunities on LinkedIn.”