Getting involved on campus enriches college experience

Madelaine Vikse

Joining a club can be a great way to become involved in a fun extracurricular activity (Madelaine Vikse | Northern Star)

By Claudie Miller, Lifestyle writer

A large part of the college experience is participating in things on and around campus. It can be especially difficult to get involved for those who live off-campus. 

One of the trickiest parts of getting involved is that, for most people, it’s completely out of their comfort zone. Believe it or not, nearly every person currently involved in something on campus has been in this position before.

“I had to just give it a shot, see what I could do and figure out what works and what didn’t work,” said Gail Jacky, the director of academic support.

Sometimes students just don’t know where to look when it comes to getting involved. Huskie Link is a website that lists all student organizations along with a description of what goes on, when they meet and is a way to contact the organization and ask any questions you may have, said Meg Junk, the acting executive director for student involvement.

“Academics is the main reason students are here but that’s not all it’s about,” Cathy Doederlein, the director of career services said. “Any way you can get involved, the relationships you build stay with you for years to come.” 

Doederlein said that being involved in the academic side of college but also something for your own interest is essential to enrich your life. 

“You have to encourage people to push through nerves and get out of their comfort zone,” Doederlein said. “They have to visualize the situation going well and think of the long-term benefits. Those long-term benefits will be worth it in the end because of all the friendships and connections you’ve made.” 

Some places to start looking for involvement opportunities include Greek life, student government, academic clubs and community service organizations. 

“Pick something that looks the least intimidating and just give it a shot,” Jacky said. 

The more involved you are, the more likely it is that NIU will feel like a home, Junk said.