Baseball drops three games at Lipscomb

Courtesy Bob Solorio

Junior Reagan Klawiter pitches during the first game of a series a Sacramento State Feb. 18.

By Michael Stoll and Noah Silver

DeKALB The NIU Huskies failed to hold onto a late 6-2 lead heading into the bottom of the 8th inning and fell to 0-9 on their season in Nashville, Tennessee against the Lipscomb University Bisons on Friday evening.

Sophomore Mason Kelley led the way with two runs batted in, and sophomore Aaron Harper finished hitting 2-4 on the day. Junior pitcher Reagan Klawiter faced 26 batters and pitched five strikeouts.

After sophomore pitcher Sam Pederson allowed a single, double and two walks early into the bottom of the 8th, Lipscomb cut the deficit down to just two. With bases loaded, redshirt freshman Matt Salomonson was swapped in to relieve Pederson and close out the game.

Salomonson secured the first out of the inning on a pop fly, but then Lipscomb’s senior John Shields came up to bat and ripped a grand slam to left field to take an 8-6 lead.

With the first win of the season on the line, NIU had its chance early into the top of the 9th. With just one out, the Huskies found themselves with loaded bases after three walks from Lipscomb sophomore pitcher Trey Nordmann.

Lipscomb redshirt junior Matthew Maldonado was sent in to stop the comeback, but he walked pinch hitter Kennedy to bring NIU within one after one strikeout.

With the bases loaded and two outs, senior Matt Barnes came up to the plate with one final chance to take the lead and possibly the first win of the season. But after a 1-2 count, Barnes struck out swinging, ending the ballgame in heartbreaking fashion.

More losses on Saturday and Sunday

On Saturday, senior Kyle Seebach pitched a 6.2 inning no decision, allowing six hits and two runs. While the Huskies gave Seebach good run support, NIU was able to stay with Lipscomb the whole game until the bottom of the ninth when Lipscomb senior Patrick Williams hit a walk-off single to give LU the win 8-7.

On Sunday, Lipscomb dominated the Huskies, scoring 10 unanswered runs until the seventh inning. Sophomore Jonathan Latham scored two for the Huskies in the seventh and was followed by sophomore Brandon Johnson who laced a triple to score another. Lipscomb responded immediately with five more runs in the final three innings to give them the 15-3 win.

NIU will open MAC play next weekend as they face Ohio University in Athens, Ohio.