Women’s tennis defeats Binghamton, loses three matchups in weekend

Freshman+Reagan+Welch+assumes+the+ready+position+during+a+match+against+the+University+of+St.+Francis+on+Feb.+11.+Welch+earned+victories+in+two+singles+matches+and+one+doubles+match+during+NIUs+weekend+trip+in+the+state+of+Iowa.+%28Summer+Fitzgerald+%7C+Northern+Star%29+

Summer Fitzgerald

Freshman Reagan Welch assumes the ready position during a match against the University of St. Francis on Feb. 11. Welch earned victories in two singles matches and one doubles match during NIU’s weekend trip in the state of Iowa. (Summer Fitzgerald | Northern Star)

By Noah Silver, Sports Reporter

DeKALB — The NIU women’s tennis team won one out of three matches over the weekend, defeating Binghamton University but falling to the University of Buffalo and the University of Toledo.

Friday

The Huskies were unable to get anything going on Friday as they lost 6-1 to Toledo.

Doubles: 1-0 Toledo

NIU was only able to win one of the doubles matches as freshman Reagan Welch and senior Iuilia Dmitrieva defeated UT junior Laura Morera and graduate student Patricia Panta 5-2. 

Toledo won the other two matches. UT sophomores Cassie Alcala and Julia Kuszynski beat NIU seniors Christy Robinson and Fernanda Naves 6-1 and UT junior Sloane Teske and senior Chrissy Fuller defeated NIU freshmen Erika Dimitriev and Angelica Ross 6-3.

Singles: 5-1 Toledo

Singles matches did not go much better for the Huskies as Iuilia Dmitrieva got the only win for NIU over UT senior Eileen Carney 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (10-7).

The rest of the slate was all Toledo. Alcala defeated Erika Dmitrieva 6-2 and 6-3. UT junior Sloane Teske beat Welch 6-4 and 6-2. Kuszynski beat Ross 6-2 and 6-4. UT sophomore Shalini Tallamraju beat Robinson 6-3 and 6-1. Finally, Panta defeated Naves 6-0 and 6-4.

Sunday Match One

The Huskies fell to Buffalo 7-0.

Doubles: 1-0 Buffalo

NIU dropped both doubles matches against the Bison as BU senior Pia Schwarz and junior Azra Deniz Comlek beat Erika Dimitriev and sophomore Anastasia Rakita 7-5 and BU senior Nikoleta Antoniou-Karademitrou and 5th year Gabriella Akopyan defeated Robinson and Naves 6-4.

Singles: 6-0 Toledo

Singles did not go any better for NIU as they dropped all six of their matches. Schwarz defeated. Sophomore Diana Lukyanova 6-2 and 6-2. BU senior Hsin-Yuan Shih beat Erika Dimitriev 2-6, 6-4 and 6-2. Akopyan defeated Rakita 6-3 and 6-3. BU junior Ambre Amat beat freshman Reagan Welch 7-5, 0-6 and 7-6 (7-5). BU junior Azra Deniz Comlek beat Christy Robinson 3-6, 6-3 and 6-0. Finally, BU sophomore Mariana Carvajal Torres defeated  Angelica Ross 7-6 (7-3), 4-6 and 1-0 (10-4).

Sunday Match Two

The second match of the day went better for the Huskies as they defeated Binghamton University 7-0.

Doubles: 1-0 NIU

The Huskies were lights out in their doubles matches, dominating all three. Naves and Robinson defeated BU freshman Caterina Casadei and freshman Maria Pereira 6-1. Welch and Iuliia Dmitrieva defeated BU freshman Natalia Aruj and junior Lara Kaplan 6-3. Ross and Diana Lukyanova beat sophomore Abby Ackroyd and freshman Brielle DeRoberts 6-1.

Singles: 6-0 NIU

Singles matches went the same as the Huskies won all six singles matches,

Lukyanova beat Kaplan 6-0, 6-4. Welch defeated Pereira 6-4, 6-1. Ross edged Casadei 6-3 and 6-3. Robinson beat Aruj 6-4 and 6-3. Finally, Naves defeated Ackroyd 6-0 and 6-0. Dmitrieva defeated Brielle DeRoberts (BU) 6-0 and 6-2.

What’s Next?

The Huskies will be back in action Friday at 1 p.m. as they welcome the University of Miami Ohio to Dekalb.