Men’s golf places 10th to end regular season schedule

NIU will be the host team for the MAC Championship next weekend

Wes Sanderson

Men’s head golf coach John Carlson (Left) talks through a shot with then-senior Tommy Dunsire during the first round of the 2021 Saint Mary’s Invitational at Poppy Hills Golf Course in Pebble Beach, California. (Wes Sanderson | Northern Star)

By Waleed Alamleh, Sports Reporter

The NIU men’s golf team completed its final competition of the spring season before the start of the Mid-American Conference Championship, finishing in 10th place at the Robert Kepler Intercollegiate. The tournament, hosted by Ohio State University, had 13 total schools compete at the Columbus Country Club. 

Round 1 

The Huskies didn’t open up in a strong manner for the opening round, shooting a combined 296 which was tied for the worst score in the round. NIU graduate student Michael Cascino shot a 71 which was the best score of any Huskie. Casino played one of his best matches this season, finishing 15th best for individual scoring. 

Senior Tommy Dunsire shot the next best score for an NIU player in the first round with an impressive 73. Senior Reece Nilsen was just one shot behind Dunsire, shooting a 74. 

Round 2 

NIU improved in the second round shooting five points better with a 291 total between their five players. Senior Reece Nilsen shot the best round of any Huskie the entire tournament, shooting a 70. Freshman Ben Sluzas and Junior Luke Dehaven lowered their scores from the first round to each shoot a 75. 

Cascino followed that up with another impressive round shooting one point less than his first round performance with a 72. 

Round 3 

The final round was much like the second for the Huskies as they shot a very similar 292. Cascino shot the best score of any NIU player this round shooting a 72 and finishing with a personal 215 for the tournament. Nilsen and Dunsire each shot a 73 respectively in the final round, with Nilsen finishing 19th best as he shot 217 total. 

Looking ahead

NIU will return for the first round of the MAC championship which begins at 11 a.m Friday. The Huskies will be hosting the Championships at the White Eagle Golf Club in Naperville from April 29 to May 1.