Police: NIU student found dead after reported missing

Erika Mona

Latif Adeboyejo was an NIU student studying biomedical engineering (Courtesy of Erika Mona)

By Northern Star Staff

DeKALB — An NIU student has been found dead in a parking lot near campus after being reported as missing on Sunday.

Latif Adeboyejo, originally from Chicago, was last seen June 5 leaving campus driving a black 2010 Ford Fusion. Adeboyejo was reported as missing through social media posts by the DeKalb Police Department, Northern Illinois University and family members of the student. He was a sophomore studying biomedical engineering.

The body of 21-year-old Adeboyejo was found in his car in a parking lot near Greenbrier and Russell Road, DeKalb Deputy Police Chief Jason Leverton said. 

Adeboyejo appeared to have sustained a gunshot wound and a firearm was found in the vehicle. DeKalb police do not suspect foul play at this time, but his death is under investigation.

No funeral or visitation arrangements have been announced. 

If you or someone you know is struggling reach out or encourage them to reach out and seek help. Students can call 815-753-1206 at any time to contact a counselor. Staff is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to answer calls.

NIU Counseling and Consultation Services is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday during the summer to offer support for students and staff.

Those with any information related to this incident are encouraged to reach out and notify the DeKalb Police Department.

The Northern Star will update this story as information becomes available.