NIU Safe app’s goal is to help keep students safe

Sean Reed

Cell phone resting on a table, open to the home page of the NIU Safe app.

By Carlos Finney Jr., Sports Reporter

NIU has a system in place to keep everyone on campus safe at all times. The university has all NIU email addresses automatically enrolled in the school’s safety notification system. However, to be even more involved and to help your safety, you can download the NIU Safe app.

NIU Safe is a mobile app that is built on a system used across the nation by large college campuses. It provides various safety features that can be used by all students, faculty and staff.

The most notable feature is access to police assistance if needed when walking around campus. It allows NIU’s police department to have your location so that they are able to track you. If you don’t feel the need to go as far as reaching out to the police, you can give your location to friends through the app to overlook your safety.

NIU students can always register two additional contacts that can receive NIU alerts and notify parents, spouses and friends if a situation occurs that brings immediate and verifiable danger to the campus’ community.

You can find the NIU safe app in the Apple app store as well as Google Play. To receive NIU alert text messages, you can provide your mobile phone number through the MyNIU Student System.

If you want to, subscribe and receive NIU alerts. Students, staff, parents, general public, etc. can follow steps to sign up through the official NIU website. For any other questions or concerns, contact NIU’s Department of Police and Public Safety.