Bazaar to focus on off-campus living

By Megan Knowles

Prospective apartment dwellers will get a chance to meet their landlords at Tuesday’s Housing Bazaar.

Housing Bazaar ‘92 will be held on Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Capitol Room.

“It’s an opportunity for students to meet landlords and management companies that are in the DeKalb area,” said Steve Sliga, Student Association campus welfare adviser.

“We’ve invited all the management companies and apartment complexes to come. The doors are open for any student to come through and look to see what the campus has to offer in the respects of off-campus living,” he said.

Twenty-four different complexes will attend the event, Sliga said.

Housing brochures will be handed out at the event. “Its like a 10 page brochure that gives them (students) helpful hints to off-campus living, such as roommate agreements, sublease forms and information about the Fair and Equal Housing Act,” Sliga said.

Students also will receive information that will enable them to get their security deposits back when they decide to move out, he added.

Stadium View II Manager Brad Rubeck said the bazaar benefits students.

“Its possible to generate a lot of information in a short period of time,” Rubeck said.

Rubeck said he will inform students on how to secure an apartment at Stadium View II and tell them what kind of amenities the apartments offer.

College Square Apartments Manager Kay Berkshire said they will offer brochures on the sizes and costs of their units. She said they will answer any questions the students have.

“We were there last year, and we felt it was a help to the students,” Berkshire said.

The Housing Bazaar is sponsored by the SA Community Affairs Committee.