How to build a good relationship with roommate(s)

Getty Images

Communicating and hanging out with your roommate(s) is a good way to bond and form friendships.

Now that the semester has started and you’ve settled into a routine, getting along with your roommate might be the last thing on your mind. Sharing a space with a stranger can be awkward, but take it one day at a time and use these tips to build a good relationship with your roommate(s) for a smooth school year.

Communicate

This may seem like a simple task, but communication in a shared space is important and should take place early. Hopefully, you have had these conversations on the first or second day of moving in together. If not, no worries because it is better to have them now than later on when tensions are high. Find a time to sit down and discuss topics such as school and sleep schedules, cleanliness and more. 

Dan Pedersen, executive director of Housing and Residential Services, said that students should be talking with roommates to connect and set ground rules. 

“Be cordial with each other, but don’t hold back feelings and conversations that need to happen,” Pedersen said. “You wouldn’t hold back those feelings with your sibling(s) so don’t do it with your roommate.”

It is good to talk to your roommate and discuss schedules because, for example, if you have an 8 a.m. class but your roommate doesn’t get up until 10 a.m., then you agree to be relatively quiet in the morning. The same applies to bedtime: if you happen to have different bedtimes, think about investing in a desk lamp so the room is still dark so your roommate can sleep. 

To keep the room clean, start by agreeing to clean your dishes and keep your things on your side of the room as much as you can. For dorm rooms that have rugs or carpets, you’re going to have to keep them clean by vacuuming them. Talk with your roommate about who is responsible when discussing chores and how many times a month they should be done. 

Make it a point in your discussion to talk about fridge space, as the fridges are small and there are two of you sharing it. Also, don’t forget to fill out your roommate agreement.

Go to events together

A good opportunity to strengthen your bond with your roommate is to attend events together. It can be nerve-wracking going to events alone; ask your new roommate to tag along. 

Henry Chieng, an NIU graduate in computer science, said that he and his roommates would bond by going out to bars and getting drinks together. Only do this if you are 21 or over, but simple things like that can help a potential friendship grow stronger. 

Another idea is to attend sporting events together. The football season started a couple of weeks ago and if you and your roommate enjoy sports there’s still plenty of time to catch a game or two. Try attending a couple of the games together and cheer on your fellow Huskies!

This next tip isn’t exactly an event but plan to go to lunch or dinner together at least once or twice a week depending on schedules. This way you don’t have to eat alone in a big cafeteria.

For days when all you want to do is stay in your room and watch movies, ask your roommate if they want to join you. Everyone loves a good movie night. You can even take a trip to the Depot C-store on campus to grab some refreshments.

Building a relationship with your roommate(s) may sound overwhelming, but you will be sharing a space for around eight months. Communication and understanding are key to having an enjoyable year with someone new.

“Students develop relationships that will last a lifetime but sometimes it doesn’t work out,” Pedersen said. “Treat people the way you want to be treated, learn how to listen and think about others and their feelings.”