Organizations to assist graduate student

By Jayna Ronayne

With the help of NIU’s campus organizations, Bob Jordan may finally get the money he needs for his life-threatening surgery.

Jordan, a NIU graduate student, community college instructor and Spanish 101 instructor here at NIU, developed neuropathy, nerve damage in his legs as a result of diabetes. The neuropathy led to the amputation of his right leg, and is now spreading to his arms and internal organs. The only way to stop these effects is to receive a pancreas transplant, a procedure which costs $150,000.

Unfortunately, Jordan has only been able to raise around $14,000 since November. Now, however, enlisting the help of NIU may be the solution to his threatening situation.

Cosponsored by the Student Association and Alpha Kappa Lambda fraternity, a “What About Bob?” semester-long campaign is in the works. The idea behind the project is to get all NIU campus organizations involved in order to raise the money Jordan needs.

SA Public Relations Adviser Rebecca Bahr said she hopes all the groups on campus will come out and show their support at the meeting at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 13,in the Holmes Student Center’s Heritage Room. The meeting will be a chance for campus organizations to find out about the project, as well as discuss any ideas for raising the money.

“The main gist is that it’s an opportunity for campus organizations to get involved,” Bahr said. “It’s hard-hitting, unifies the campus and answers some claims to apathy. It gives everyone a chance to show they can pull together and help a fellow student in need.”

“Some of the ideas we have are a bake sale, a telethon involving TV-8, a car wash, a bowl-a-thon or a concert with local bands,” said co-chairperson Steve Parsons of Alpha Kappa Lambda. “We also hope to get local businesses involved by matching funds, having specials or maybe donating cover charges.”

Bahr said they also hope to generate money through a compact disc collection, having students donate CD’s to be eventually resold to a used record dealer for cash.

“There will also be 70 coin collection cans dispersed throughout the campus,” Bahr said. “We might also organize a coupon book in order to raise money.

“All this will have a direct impact on a person’s life, so it’s very important to get the organizations involved,” she said. “We hope everyone will show up for the informational meeting; if the president of the organization can’t show, then at least a representative should come.

“It’s a chance to give the groups’ name recognition and to help Bob out at the same time,” Bahr said.

“I’m really impressed to think that as busy as students are and as bad as the economy is, people are still willing to try,” said Jordan.

Jordon also said he is worried because there isn’t a definite time frame for when his illness could take a turn for the worse.

“I don’t expect people to give their lunch money or cab fare,” he said. “I just hope that if you can’t give, then spread the word.

“I’m very grateful for everything and I have great expectations.”